Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump up in polling among Hispanics

Trump up in polling among Hispanics

President Trump’s popularity has risen recently, especially among Hispanics. Given the last ten days of media hyper focus on separating Latino children from their parents at our southern border, I am surprised.

What is going on here? Perhaps our emissary from the 85006 could provide insight into this thinking among persons of Hispanic background.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...-to-47-percent

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...cs_137382.html

Not all Hispanics support open borders or anything and also Hispanics aren't a monolith, the immigrants now are people from entirely different countries than Mexico. I'm not sure the solidarity across whole different regions of latin america is really there. But I'm not an expert on that. One could say open borders is not what everyone who is objecting to current immigration policy wants and that's fair enough, but they aren't very clear on articulating exactly what they DO want out of u.s. immigration policy. Campaigns to "Abolish ICE" lead people to believe the goal is completely open borders.

But anyway some Hispanics came here legally, some whether they came here legally originally or not have been here a generation or two or three. Those are people who might not support unlimited illegal immigration even from the same places their families came from. It's possible they see it as well unfair if they went through the system, but also as competition for resources (jobs, housing etc.) just like some whites might, I don't know.
    Trees don't grow on money

Oh, I agree that The Hispanics are not of one monolithic mind. I just wonder if thoses here can see that. But perhaps “ “ Hispanics of the 85006” are all in agreement for all things. They are represented as such here on this site.

I find it interesting but then there are people that vote against their own best interests and that is not very smart but it happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I find it interesting but then there are people that vote against their own best interests and that is not very smart but it happens all the time.
    I think it's quite easy for people to vote against things others may see as their best interests. Lots of folks vote for the best interests of their country or their progeny. As an example, many folks were enthralled with Bernie Sanders promise of free education, free healthcare, free this and free that for all, but many others correctly saw that while those promises would benefit them now, nothing is truly free and the massive redistribution necessary to accomplish would ultimately be bad for the country and future generations. In that scenario, I think we'd have to agree to disagree on the definition of "smart".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it's quite easy for people to vote against things others may see as their best interests. Lots of folks vote for the best interests of their country or their progeny. As an example, many folks were enthralled with Bernie Sanders promise of free education, free healthcare, free this and free that for all, but many others correctly saw that while those promises would benefit them now, nothing is truly free and the massive redistribution necessary to accomplish would ultimately be bad for the country and future generations. In that scenario, I think we'd have to agree to disagree on the definition of "smart".
    Or “who” is smart.

Again, voting for trump was only smart if you are wealthy. So they voted to harm their country, themselves and future generations. Not what I would call a intelligent move.

I detect a bit of bias there. But, it's clear you know us better than we know ourselves, it's hard to overcome our inherent stupidity.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You always make me laugh ��

I didn’t say everyone was stupid that voted for him because unfortunately I know a few smart people that did. But the majority of people were blue collar and voted against their own interests. I grew up BC and my ex put me through college with his BC job. People were fooled.

Thread Information