Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do fridge or car magnets count?

Do fridge or car magnets count?

I had a debate with a minimalist pal. The question at hand is whether or not fridge magnets count as possessions?

I argued they do not because they are essentially two dimensional. I asked: "If I painted as mural on my wall, would that be a possession?"

She said they did count because when a person moves they have to take them off the fridge, thus they become three dimensional and you literally possess them in your hand and they take up space in a moving box.

Thoughts?

Let's say you paint over the magnet on your refrigerator with a coat of polyurethane. Then it doesn't count as a possession, otherwise, it most certainly does. If you are using it for a utilitarian purpose (i.e., holding up a shopping list or a photograph of Harley) then it counts as TWO possessions--magnet itself and the thing it's holding up

A little too into the minimalism weeds for me, but if you're counting possessions, I guess it matters.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I say they count. I have a deep loathing of refrigerator magnets.

well it makes me think of a lot of things, like a box with many oatmeal packets or a jar full of pens. I have collected way too many pens myself.

In my book, each magnet counts. It's not really a two-dimensional item; there is a third dimension even if it's just a small fraction of an inch (or centimeter). And it is portable.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Think about if you were having to vacate your place, then would you take them with you? If yes, then they count.
    So that could also include things like Welcome mats, storage systems you put up, garden art, etc.

I agree we're getting pretty picky on minimalism, though. But the contemplation of moving can be an eye-opener on the amount of possessions one actually owns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    ...s or a jar full of pens. I have collected way too many pens myself.
    I agree. Because of pen-clutter, I have considered going back to my Catholic school days when I owned one nice cartridge pen (and a few back-up cartridges). The ubiquity of cheap plastic pens means we just pick them up and throw them in junk drawers, purses, etc.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Well....now I think you should post a photo of your fridge magnet collection UL! Suddenly your possessions go from under 100 to the 200's???? You bought 'em...you stuck 'em....you have to remove 'em at some point.

Magnets I can do with out but pens? I love a good pen. I have a collection of wood turned pens and then I also like liquid gel pens. I hoard them in my small purse. One day I counted 16. I try really hard now to keep it at 3 in the purse and the rest in a drawer in the buffet and just rotate them. I'll get rid of everything before I get rid of a good pen.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I gathered all the pens and pencils in the house into a nice wide jug. Now they have a home and I can plop them there when they are found. I am actually using them up and need to find another source. Having a home for everything has made my life a whole lot easier.

Just knowing that the batteries and charger are always in one spot means husband can replace them also. Used baggies to sort the types also. And this applies to almost everything.

OH, and I found out that a lot of my pens did not work. So when I did the first organizing, I tried each one and threw out all the ugly or nonworking ones. Still had a huge jug full. Maybe limit yourself to one drawer for supplies and use a utensil divider to sort and limit them.

I guess another way of looking at the magnet question is, can you throw it away? If it can be disposed of, it's a possession.

I go through periodic purges of fridge magnets when their dirtiness or ugliness gets to me, regardless of how useful they are.

Thread Information