Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump's Budget

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    That comment about social Darwinism is exactly right. This philosophy does not value people, especially if they are poor or powerless.
    To bring the budget around to my pet issue, the environment, social Darwinism isn't going to protect the elite from the toxic air and water that will ensue with the demolition of the EPA and the consequences of climate change. Maybe the poor will be disadvantaged at first (as always) but there's only so much you can do to outrun the devastation of our natural resources.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

it will be social darwinism if it gets them, literally the dumbest most pathological people around are running things, fittest for nothing. Unfortunately they will take the rest of us and a whole bunch of other species down with them.
    Trees don't grow on money

We have a homeless problem that has become worse due to lack of MH services, low wages and the rising costs of rents, etc. Today our Republican governor joined a few others to write to the President and congress etc about how the lack of funding that they are proposing would really hurt our homeless population. While some of our smaller shelters are run by charities etc our 3 big ones rely on government funding. We have a program where the cops identify some of the homeless and social workers go to talk to them and try to get them services. Some have died this winter when it got really cold because they would not go to a shelter or if they had a pet could not bring a pet. A man that was very MI was finally talked into going to the hospital where he had to have both his feet amputated due to extreme frostbite. To take $ away from these people is horrible.

I agree with jp1, this budget makes me sick, not only just because of what's in it, but because Trump has cost us, the taxpayers, over $18million SO FAR on travel and extra security for 2 additional homes, one in NYC for a family that refuses to live in the White House, and Mar-A-Lago. We pay not only upfront, but actually put money into Trump's pockets because we're paying to rent space at Trump Tower and Mar-A-Lago The hypocrisy and complete lack of integrity from a man who wants to keep a pittance from children and the elderly, while grabbing taxpayer dollars with both hands, is sickening. And if we need to tighten our belts so much, I say we can't afford $20 billion from the taxpayers for a stinkin' wall.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Teacher, Jp1, be free and everyone I so agree

yesterday I was in a small group of women. One mentioned how they record Colbert because he is so hilarious. Another said it made her so mad and physically sick that people were so anti Trump. I pressed her a little to see why she was standing behind him and she truly believes he will make our country safe and keep those immigrants and refugees out. It was a side of her I had not seen.

So then I asked how we could afford the wall he is proposing. She said by cutting foreign aid and money to freeloaders. Those damn children who get free lunch and those pesky old people who collect social security are such slackers, don't you think? And what about those starving children in Africa. We should keep our rice and beans right here in the US because they are black. After that comment I think I moved into the enemy bucket. Good thing because I probably should not be around her.

Flowers: I think you showed amazing restraint

And what about those starving children in Africa. We should keep our rice and beans right here in the US because they are black.
    this isn't exclusively what foreign aid is spent on, in fact only a small amount is spent on true humanitarian aid depending on what one includes. At the least:

"United States foreign aid is aid given by the United States government to other governments. It can be divided into two broad categories: military aid and economic assistance."

"In the 21st century, the US government operates five major categories of foreign assistance: bilateral development aid (the largest amount), economic assistance supporting U.S. political and security goals, humanitarian aid, multilateral economic contributions, and military aid"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid

now true humanitarian aid is children starving in Africa for instance. Economic assistance supporting U.S. and political goals may not always support what would be in the best interest of that country, at least it's sometimes criticized for this. Look at the lead countries on receiving foreign aid as well on that same Wikipedia page, more to the middle east (and even quite wealthy countries) than ever gets to Africa (black people not so much so - I suppose we imagine that our foreign aid goes to black people in the same way we imagine blacks are the only ones getting welfare - reality not so much so).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Flowers: I think you showed amazing restraint
    the weird thing is I can give quite a bit of slack to people who are struggling. People who have lost good paying jobs, who have seen their standard of living lowered and pay more than ever for medical bills. Dragging yourself out of bed in the morning,to go to a low paying crappy job can be demoralizing. The picture the media and some politicians paint of all these refugees and immigrants who only want to take advantage of us has brainwashed some people and made them very hard hearted and resentful. I only hope they don't lose their health insurance. But in her case, she lives in a beautiful house, drives a Lexus, always has perfectly manicured nails, and was proudly showing off her daughters new house she bought as a single woman. What could you possibly be unhappy with? Does it kill you to share a little?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    this isn't exclusively what foreign aid is spent on, in fact only a small amount is spent on true humanitarian aid depending on what one includes. At the least:

"United States foreign aid is aid given by the United States government to other governments. It can be divided into two broad categories: military aid and economic assistance."

"In the 21st century, the US government operates five major categories of foreign assistance: bilateral development aid (the largest amount), economic assistance supporting U.S. political and security goals, humanitarian aid, multilateral economic contributions, and military aid"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid

now true humanitarian aid is children starving in Africa for instance. Economic assistance supporting U.S. and political goals may not always support what would be in the best interest of that country, at least it's sometimes criticized for this. Look at the lead countries on receiving foreign aid as well on that same Wikipedia page, more to the middle east (and even quite wealthy countries) than ever gets to Africa (black people not so much so - I suppose we imagine that our foreign aid goes to black people in the same way we imagine blacks are the only ones getting welfare - reality not so much so).
    I agree, I was just showing my frustration. Millions of refugees wait for a chance for a life after fleeing their bombed out and dangerous homes. There have to be some that deserve a chance in our country. And the starving children in Africa. Can you imagine watching a child starve to death? But you are right, we are screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    the weird thing is I can give quite a bit of slack to people who are struggling. People who have lost good paying jobs, who have seen their standard of living lowered and pay more than ever for medical bills. Dragging yourself out of bed in the morning,to go to a low paying crappy job can be demoralizing. The picture the media and some politicians paint of all these refugees and immigrants who only want to take advantage of us has brainwashed some people and made them very hard hearted and resentful. I only hope they don't lose their health insurance. But in her case, she lives in a beautiful house, drives a Lexus, always has perfectly manicured nails, and was proudly showing off her daughters new house she bought as a single woman. What could you possibly be unhappy with? Does it kill you to share a little?
    The lack of compassion is what is really affecting me. I have a job coach I saw last week and her long term women's group is breaking up over all this. It is not because there is a disagreement as much as the total lack of compassion by the person is out of majority. The others in the group are sharing how some of the things that are happening are deeply personal, Their own families are immigrants, LGBTQ, non-white, low income and women. So there is a compassion gap, that is breaking my heart a little.

Thread Information