Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT rights in the USA today...

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Gaslighting.
    Oh, is that where we are now, making accusations against anyone asking simple questions?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Does this mean you do not agree with the junk spewed by nut jobs, but more importantly, you do not support their right to say it?
    Sophistry.

I don't think it's an issue of free press vs censored press. It's an issue of more people claiming their right to say and do outrageous things because the political atmosphere grants permission. It's an issue of the previous political leadership and some of the present-day acolytes leading by example, and in this case, hateful, incendiary example. I'm sure there are many people who are happy to take the lid off their violent predilections because, after all, the former President's mocking, jeering, shunning, and outlawing sends a clear message that it's OK.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Oh, is that where we are now, making accusations against anyone asking simple questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Sophistry.
    Hmm, I guess so.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Under current First Amendment jurisprudence, hate speech can only be criminalized when it directly incites imminent criminal activity or consists of specific threats of violence targeted against a person or group. (American Library Association)

My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I may be a bit behind on my daily outrage consumption, can you tell me what Republican politicians have said to cause the latest 'crazy guy with a gun' event?
    "...the latest 'evil guy with a gun...'" fixed it for you.

If you enter "Republican anti-gay rhetoric" into a search engine, you'll get a wealth of information back.

From the first article cited:

This past election, Republican candidates ran on a platform that characterized queer and transgender people as “groomers.” They targeted the families that support them as criminals. And many of the candidates talking like this won their races. In less than a decade, the right has managed to breathe new life into an old, dangerous narrative — queer and transgender people are threats to children and to the health of the nation. This strategic scapegoating is by design. It galvanizes white, conservative GOP voters by stoking the basest of emotions — fear of erasure.

Ed note: the vast majority of pedophiles are heterosexual, often married men

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That worked somewhat in the last election; I hope it's a continuing trend.
    Maybe less-rabid Republicans could stand up and condemn at least the most egregious examples. Not holding my breath.
    It would also be helpful if Democrats stopped writing checks to help the “rabid” sort of Republicans win their primaries against the other sort.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "...the latest 'evil guy with a gun...'" fixed it for you.

If you enter "Republican anti-gay rhetoric" into a search engine, you'll get a wealth of information back.

From the first article cited:

This past election, Republican candidates ran on a platform that characterized queer and transgender people as “groomers.” They targeted the families that support them as criminals. And many of the candidates talking like this won their races. In less than a decade, the right has managed to breathe new life into an old, dangerous narrative — queer and transgender people are threats to children and to the health of the nation. This strategic scapegoating is by design. It galvanizes white, conservative GOP voters by stoking the basest of emotions — fear of erasure.

Ed note: the vast majority of pedophiles are heterosexual, often married men
    I don’t think LGBTQ people abuse minors at any bigger rate than hetero men do, but of course there’s more heterosexual pedophiles because there’s just more heterosexual men in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Under current First Amendment jurisprudence, hate speech can only be criminalized when it directly incites imminent criminal activity or consists of specific threats of violence targeted against a person or group. (American Library Association)

And that’s the tricky part, determining when speech directly incites criminal activity.

Black Lives Matters leaders have no responsibility for the wreckage and mayhem caused during their “peaceful “protests. Anti-police speechifying has no consequences I need to notice. Yet, police Captain David Dorn is dead. What an unfortunate coincidence.

Whataboutism.

Thread Information