Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Secret Hoarders

We got a KitchenAid mixer for a wedding present more than 30 years ago. if you don’t bake it’s probably not worth taking.

Ours sits on our kitchen counter because we have lots of a counter space and it’s fine, but if I was short on kitchen counter space I wouldn’t have it sitting out there and probably wouldn’t have it at all, were it up to me. But DH is the baker in the family.

A 97 yo neighbor passed away a few months back and I suspect her house was in a similar condition. For the last few years of her life, a 60 something alcoholic son lived in her basement but he died two years ago and she became even more reclusive. The estate company has been there for two weeks now coming and going. The sale is tomorrow so I will attend mostly to see what the house is like. Sounds like the one you speak of at least had some community support whereas our neighbor did not have anyone checking on her once her son died.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post

There is also a really nice (but very heavy) KitchenAid mixer that I am vacillating on. I know they are very good mixers and expensive to buy new, but never in 5 years have I ever pined for a big mixer like that for the kitchen (I hardly ever bake). If I took it, it would have to be stored on top of the refrigerator and if I am honest will probably hardly ever get used. I also unearthed one of those little electric hand mixers, so I think that one will be much more useful to me and can be stored much easier. I'm pretty sure I will not be greedy for the sake of owning a KitchenAid and will leave it for someone else to have.

The only other things I have taken are some small metal trinkets that could be used in an assemblage collage. They've already been neatly put away in the studio in our plastic keeper boxes (all bought cheaply from Savers). Who knows if they'll ever be used, but at least they are stored well!
    I bought DH a KitchenAid mixer years ago, when we were living in a house 3x the size of this one. The first year we came up here, I intentionally did not bring it up, but he missed it--and missed all the accessories he had bought, like sausage making attachments and pasta-making attachments. Over the course of about 10 years, he's used those attachments fewer than 5 times. But he does bake from time to time. So we have it up here, and you're right, it's tough to find a good place for it. I keep it under the bench in the mudroom. It's somewhat handy to have, but as IL said, if you don't bake, and you haven't yearned for one yet, I'd be tempted to pass.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We got a KitchenAid mixer for a wedding present more than 30 years ago. if you don’t bake it’s probably not worth taking.

Ours sits on our kitchen counter because we have lots of a counter space and it’s fine, but if I was short on kitchen counter space I wouldn’t have it sitting out there and probably wouldn’t have it at all, were it up to me. But DH is the baker in the family.
    I use my KitchenAid at least once a week to make my sourdough bread. It definitely resides on the counter as it is getting too heavy to lift from somewhere else every week. (Yes, IT is getting heavy! I'M NOT getting weaker in my old age!!!!LOL)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I love my KitchenAid. I have had three, I think--I have burnt through them over the 40 years I have owned them. This year, I am going to buy the pasta attachment--I have wanted it for 15 years now. So better late than never.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I love my KitchenAid. I have had three, I think--I have burnt through them over the 40 years I have owned them. This year, I am going to buy the pasta attachment--I have wanted it for 15 years now. So better late than never.
    I actually got my KitchenAid for $35!!! (This was over 10 years ago)

Story: Bought a floor model - no box, but all the pieces for $35 (don't think the salesperson knew anything about the mixer). When I got it home, I plugged it in and it wouldn't work!!! I was devastated! Looked up the KitchenAid website and got a contact phone number. The representative on the other end was FABULOUS! Explained that I just bought this mixer, came home, plugged it in and it didn't work. She took the model number and started looking things up. I, meanwhile, was telling her how thrilled I was to actually finally own a KitchenAid mixer and was sooooo hoping she could tell me how to get it to work. Well...turned out the model number was no longer serviceable (even though I just bought it!) This wonderful woman put me on hold, spoke with her supervisor and then informed me that they were shipping me a new mixer! I just had to pack the one I bought back into the new box and return it to them!

So that is the story of how I got a KitchenAid mixer for $35.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I love my KitchenAid mixer for making bread as has been mentioned by others. It does all the kneading. I had to pay a lot more than $35 for it though. I tuck under the overhead cupboard on my countertop beside an electrical outlet in the 21 inches between the stove and fridge. It is so handy with no lifting or storage issues.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am vacillating now, reading your stories of the KitchenAid...I have absolutely NO counterspace for it. I rarely bake anymore. It's too heavy to lift from where I *think* I would store it on top of the refrigerator. We finally cleared most of the odd small kitchen appliances off the refrigerator, keeping only the rice cooker (well-used) and the crockpot (also well-used). We got rid of the electric frying pan, which I used the first year I moved to NM when I didn't have a kitchen, and an electric griddle of K's, which wasn't used enough to warrant keeping.

I am trying to not be greedy because it is a free KitchenAid. I do not need it. Repeat, I do not need it.

Sigh, it'll be there when we go back next Tuesday to finish out the cleaning job...

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I am trying to not be greedy because it is a free KitchenAid. I do not need it. Repeat, I do not need it.

Sigh, it'll be there when we go back next Tuesday to finish out the cleaning job...
    While I love my KitchenAid and do use it often, I wish it was not so heavy and bulky. If I could actually find something smaller and more lightweight, but that does the same functions as I use, I would definitely replace it. So I get the whole "I don't need it".

I depend on mine so much that I would always give it counterspace, or I would buy a butcher block table to give it its own counterspace. But I admire your restraint.

Thread Information