Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple livers killed by terrorists...

Simple livers killed by terrorists...

This happened back in July. I had heard about the attack but did not know it was Jay Austin, well-known minimalist, tiny houser, and simple living advocate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.9f9859cc2b1a

My fellow liberals vehemently disagree with me often when I use the term "evil" to describe really bad people or really bad ideas. Their hippy-dippy "everyone is fundamentally good" or "everyone can be redeemed" nonsense will occasionally get them killed.

When I say "evil must be destroyed" my fellow lefties often look at me like I just swore allegiance to Sean Hannity. It is bizarre.

This is sad, sorry to hear it. Has motivation really been identifed factually? It could,have been just thugs who saw an opportunity to be thugs. Happens around here a fair amount and while our local floavor of thugs do sometimes couch their behavior in philosophical justification, they are just thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is sad, sorry to hear it. Has motivation really been identifed factually? It could,have been just thugs who saw an opportunity to be thugs. Happens around here a fair amount and while our local floavor of thugs do sometimes couch their behavior in philosophical justification, they are just thugs.
    The Tajik authorities investigated and said it was ISIS followers. So could there be doubts about if it was terror, sure. But the best info we have is that it was terror.

I would think that any prudent traveler would be aware of the risks of the area they are in and know that there are bad humans just like there is bad weather. But you have to wonder if their choice to see the good side of people may have lulled them into some sort of complacency.

I don't know if there is such a thing a an evil force in the world, but there are certainly damaged people that need to be removed or separated from the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    ...you have to wonder if their choice to see the good side of people may have lulled them into some sort of complacency.
    Ding, ding, ding! Keeeeeeeeee-rect!

In the linked Washington Post article, Austin's mother observed that Jay and his girlfriend were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    When I say "evil must be destroyed" my fellow lefties often look at me like I just swore allegiance to Sean Hannity. It is bizarre.
    Sounds like Christopher Hitchens.

Really sad and no matter how much you plan shit happens.

I am a liberal but don’t believe that everyone is good. Be careful when traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Sounds like Christopher Hitchens.
    Thank you.

Thread Information