Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Ummm.....you really are OK with Dr. Dao being blooded up and violently dragged off that United Airlines flight??? Ay carumba, all I can say is that I'm sorry if that is truly the case, and that my mind reels with this - if it indeed the case that you are truly OK with how this Doctor was treated by United Airlines. Rob
    Of course I am not "OK" with the passenger in this case being bloodied while dragged out. It is too bad he didn't go on his own steam, he could have saved himself grief and injury. It is too bad he was injured while being removed. And OF COURSE it is a public relations nightmare for United Airlines.

I wonder how how much of his stubbornness in not leaving the plane had to do with privilege associated with his decades of class privilege as a physician, married to a physician? But given his immigrant background, hard to know. He had to be very hard working (and stubborn! Haha) to get where he is.

Rob, you mention upthread an idea of this being an assault on the lower classes. You are all wet for that idea, this guy isn't a member of your downtrodden brethren..

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Just going off the title of this thread "Protesting is good for the soul"

Not my soul so I resent being lumped into that statement a little. Turning on the news every day and seeing some new protest have it's 10 minutes of fame is just getting to me. I don't see the point other than the person who invented the "I protest...everything" T-shirt. That guy (or girl) is making some bucks. I know in history there were professional mourners paid to mourn at funerals...are there professional protesters that just hop from protest to protest? Putting on the ugly face, throwing their fist and trash in the air. I see public protests as mainly costing a lot of money. Ambulance and crew on standby, added police to break up fights and process disorderly, extra trash pick up, construction repairs, etc.

Rob, you mentioned how many in your zip-code depend on the airport for their income. If your airport loses United how many will be affected in your community? Every time we lose an airline it affects price of remaining airlines, available seats, etc... Heck, a bad few days of weather leaves people stranded for days because there aren't enough seats available...you really want that worse? I only see protesting this as having negative effect on future costs to us paying customers.

I know United's goal was to get out of the gate. The ripple effect is huge when a plane is late out of the gate. People protested over tarmac times, if they missed their take-off slot more delay problems. Yes. Everyone knows it could of been handled differently. Yes, Chicago security is crazy but they deal with crazy. No one wants to spend an extra hour in Chicago airport but why didn't people volunteer? Every time I've volunteered it worked to my benefit. I think what bothered me most is that everyone on the plane was quick to grab their phone and record but not do anything personally. Kind of like the video awhile back where there was an emergency un-boarding and everyone spent time videoing and grabbing personal belongings and luggage out of bins instead of getting off the plane. I would of gladly given up my seat and have in the past. People are just too darn selfish anymore it's all more about me and how everything affects me than looking for the good of man-kind. No wonder I barely turn on the news anymore.

Right now might be the best time to get a good deal and good treatment on a United flight. I'd give them a chance if it meant I could save some $. And I'd be sure to say "thank you" to the flight crew and step up and volunteer if they call for anyone to do so.
    With all due respect, Float On, I am going to agree to disagree with you. If for no other reason, I see protesting as a very good thing in the sense that is a relief valve for everyday people confronted with the true inequality and injustice that the United States dishes out while hypocritically calling itself a beacon of freedom and opportunity. Perhaps protesting in and of itself will not accomplish much, but if this relief valve were to be taken away, imagine how much more violence and crime there would be.

I do agree with your point about professional protesters to a point - but also I disagree, too. Let me explain. Last Fall I participated in a few protests of the Wells Fargo Brand when their illegal behaviors were brought to light. Now that my season is winding down and I have a little more time, and now that heinous injustice has taken place about this United Airlines plane in question, I am protesting against United Airlines, too. Does this make me a "professional" protester? Where is the line drawn as to what constitutes protesting "professionally"? Both situations above - Wells Fargo and United - deeply shame me to be an American citizen as they show what America really is all about under the nice sounding words. True, not everyone nor every brand stoops to these levels, I will grant that.....but this behavior is increasingly common and the lack of human rights behind it and the expectation that we as citizens should be OK with the lack of rights behind it - No. I can't give this/do this. I deserve better, and I hold myself to a higher standard. This is non negotiable for me. Long story short, at least protesting is a chance for me to legally voice my anger and rage at the system for allowing such to take place, for even ENCOURAGING such to take place. What is so bad about my protesting then, when framed this way?

As to United's impact in the 85006, it is minimal as United has a minimal imprint on Sky Harbour (the Phoenix airport). United is not one of the big players here - those would be American (due to it's takeover of US Airways which was headquartered here) and Southwest, which is the dominant player in aviation here. The major airlines are all represented here with minimal imprints for most, with a few international airlines too, such as British Airways with it's one direct flight to London. At any rate, United could leave this airport and another airline could take over it's slots and there would be no real consequence due to the minimal imprint United has here. That said, you have a point regarding United Airlines in zip codes similar to the 85006 in communities in which United has a big imprint. I'm not sure but I think Houston and Chicago are big United imprint cities? I don't have a quick answer for you other than at least in Texas at the moment it's not hard to find a lower end replacement job. In Chicago to lose such a job would bite, I will give you that.

About people not getting up to volunteer to get off the plane and smartphone videoing instead - let us be grateful that such took place. The smartphone video will help Dr. Dao's litigation against the United Airlines Brand - it also shows the world a true side of the United States and gives the world a chance to debate if it wants to emulate this American behavior or not - and for all we know, positive change may be forced upon the airline industry via consumer anger and rage spilling over into either new more consumer friendly airline laws and/or legal consumer retaliation impacting corporate balance sheets. Really, a smartphone that is fully charged can be such an effective tool against what America has become that I'm of the opinion it should be mandatory that all adults have one on them at all times for self protection. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    It won't be long until the doctor and CEO of United will be shown shanking hands and all smiles. A few Chicago cops may be reprimanded and all will be forgotten. The doctor will get a 6 or very low 7 figure settlement and gag order. No one will remember this in a few months.
    With all due respect, I disagree. I won't be forgetting this incident ever - not for the remainder of my life. Should United Airlines ever come up in conversation for the remainder of my life, I will say something along the lines of - yeah, that airline that likes to see their passengers viciously attacked - or something similar. Here is a case in point. I have for many years advised people to avoid State Farm insurance as over 20 years ago they lost a lawsuit in regards to discrimination against female employees. I have been able to steer a few customers away from State Farm over the years by advising them of this lawsuit and by asking if this is a company that would like to subsidize, given their discriminatory nature as proven via the years ago lawsuit. Point being - I don't let such go and have no problem both remembering such incidents and in using them against a particular brand in question. I consider this a public service of sorts....kind of like friends don't let friends drive drunk, but in this case, friends don't let friends fly United's hostile and threatening skies. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I do agree with that. I few hundred lousy bucks would have saved them a ton of money lost in angry customers.
    And this is at the crux of why United Airlines is facing the nightmare that it is. Being too cheap to part with a few hundred dollars certainly cost them much, much, much more in terms of nightmares, aggravation, and monetarily, also. I seriously doubt their reputation, which was not all that great to begin with, will ever fully recover. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Of course I am not "OK" with the passenger in this case being bloodied while dragged out. It is too bad he didn't go on his own steam, he could have saved himself grief and injury. It is too bad he was injured while being removed. And OF COURSE it is a public relations nightmare for United Airlines.

I wonder how how much of his stubbornness in not leaving the plane had to do with privilege associated with his decades of class privilege as a physician, married to a physician? But given his immigrant background, hard to know. He had to be very hard working (and stubborn! Haha) to get where he is.

Rob, you mention upthread an idea of this being an assault on the lower classes. You are all wet for that idea, this guy isn't a member of your downtrodden brethren..
    I'm sorry if I was unclear, IL. This is not an attack per se on the lower social classes, and I did not intend to make such a statement. I only stated that coming from the lower social classes, I am morally obligated to protest against United Airlines and it's very aggressively hostile and ultimately financially unwise actions. It doesn't matter to me which social class the victim comes from - coming from my background I see myself as morally obligated to protest. Who else has a more honest take on the United States than someone from the lower social classes, when you get right down to it? This is why it is so important for people such as myself to protest brands such as United when they show themselves for what they truly are. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Really, a smartphone that is fully charged can be such an effective tool against what America has become that I'm of the opinion it should be mandatory that all adults have one on them at all times for self protection. Rob
    Mandatory? As in, with force of law? As in, if you refuse to have one, armed agents of the state will eventually show up to drag you off, and will kill you if you resist sufficiently, as they inexorably move through their response force continuum? Nice! I love to see what sorts of things people are willing to kill others for... Or rather, the sorts of things they are willing to have their hired help kill for...

[QUOTE=Alan;267327]Just saw this on Facebook moments before reading your post. On the spur of the moment and with your history of hundreds of similarly themed posts, it seems appropriate. ...

For many, if not most of us, emigrating is not possible, so we do what we can to change the system. Including protesting.

[QUOTE=JaneV2.0;267357]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Just saw this on Facebook moments before reading your post. On the spur of the moment and with your history of hundreds of similarly themed posts, it seems appropriate. ...

For many, if not most of us, emigrating is not possible, so we do what we can to change the system. Including protesting.
    I wish there was a "like"button I could click for this true and intelligent post. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Mandatory? As in, with force of law? As in, if you refuse to have one, armed agents of the state will eventually show up to drag you off, and will kill you if you resist sufficiently, as they inexorably move through their response force continuum? Nice! I love to see what sorts of things people are willing to kill others for... Or rather, the sorts of things they are willing to have their hired help kill for...
    ??? Bae, with all due respect, ???, how did you go from a mandatory smartphone to armed agents of the state, from zero to sixty in less than five seconds? Just trying to understand. Rob

Do you understand what happens when "mandatory" gets enforced against a non compliant person?

Do you understand your moral skin-in-the-game when you ask that something be made "mandatory" in our laws?

Thread Information