Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

I am already trading up my dumpster finds for better dumpster finds.

I pitched the shelf thingie from post above when I found a nice little sturdy table in a dumpster. This table will work as planned by the armchair.

I also got an ottoman from the dumpster, exacrly what I had been wanting—big, soft, tan faux leather. Score!

Also, while in Hermann I went to the cute little wine bar and ordered sandwich and drink in order to use their wifi. Usually I go to the library to use wifi but it closes in early evening.

Now, I can sit outside the wine bar in my car when they are closed to access their wifi. But when they are open, I will go in to buy something, I promise! Besides, it is such a cute place!

We havent figured out internet service yet for our Hermann house.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

You are right, I need to invest in one of these. Ten bucks wont kill me and it will be around for a while.

will order today. thanks for this reminder,
    I knew these thngs existed but didnt think to buy one.

So, I have two problems, which I may have just solved.

a) NO space to put silverware, until I get something that has a couple of drawers. So in the meantime, I thought I'd stand them up in Mason jars, but then they might get dusty if they're exposed--or they might tip over.

b) I have to buy flatware for up there, but I don't want to spend a lot. Want to thrift store the purchase.

SO, I was thinking about how I have my great-aunt's silver flatware just sitting in my sideboard in a little wicker basket. I know you're not supposed to put good stuff in the dishwasher, but I looked online, and they said that you can put sterling in the dishwasher as long as it doesn't touch any other metals and you use detergent that doesn't have certain stuff in it (can't remember what).

Do you think I should use silver for every day use?? Any downside other than having to educate people who might help me load the dishwasher? I could keep them covered with a napkin in the little wicker basket they're in now, and put them on the open shelving.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, I have two problems, which I may have just solved.

a) NO space to put silverware, until I get something that has a couple of drawers. So in the meantime, I thought I'd stand them up in Mason jars, but then they might get dusty if they're exposed--or they might tip over.

b) I have to buy flatware for up there, but I don't want to spend a lot. Want to thrift store the purchase.

SO, I was thinking about how I have my great-aunt's silver flatware just sitting in my sideboard in a little wicker basket. I know you're not supposed to put good stuff in the dishwasher, but I looked online, and they said that you can put sterling in the dishwasher as long as it doesn't touch any other metals and you use detergent that doesn't have certain stuff in it (can't remember what).

Do you think I should use silver for every day use?? Any downside other than having to educate people who might help me load the dishwasher? I could keep them covered with a napkin in the little wicker basket they're in now, and put them on the open shelving.
    Use the silver! My friend who runs a bed and breakfast inn uses her sterling daily, and puts it in the dishwasher.

In my Hermann house
    I am using a set of silverplate since we do not have a dishwasher there.But it might be ok in a dishwasher, dont know.

seriously, we are too old to NOT use the sterling.

I use an eclectic mix of old sterling flatware and wash in the dishwasher. About once a month I'll do the aluminum foil baking soda hot water soak. When you leave for the week wrap some saran wrap around them and leave them in the mason jars. That'll keep dust off and keep them from tarnishing from exposure.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

What do you all do for internet service in your weekend houses?

The rural places have fewer choices, slower service, in general.

I'm convinced. I'll use the silver, and it will make me happy every time I look at her monogram on it.

But it did present another problem. For some reason, I don't have any tablespoons. So, I think I'll just go with what I have and scout the flea markets and antique stores up there for 6-8 silver tablespoons. Shouldn't cost a lot. (I wish I knew if I really have those tablespoons SOMEWHERE amidst all the crap I have, but I truly don't remember.)

Re the internet: I'm all set up. Comcast is pretty reliable. I just set up my business phone up there, which is key, because I spend a large part of my workday on telephone interviews. It's a landline, but connected to the internet somehow.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What do you all do for internet service in your weekend houses?

The rural places have fewer choices, slower service, in general.
    Dad used a hotspot through his cell phone plan for quite awhile until they got better service. If I remember right you don't have a cell contract do you? Dad had tracfone until he decided he wanted some internet and went with a cell provider specifically so he could have a hotspot. Just remember to turn it off when not in use.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

The longest time we've been in residence has been two weeks. I actually utilize the time to be "unplugged", sort of a respite.

When necessary I either use the data on my phone or we visit a coffee shop or the library and use their Wi-Fi. Definitely not secure and also not something I would do if I needed to work all day long. I have taken the laptop for work but the stretch of time that I was online was less than one hour.

When we retire from full-time employment and become snowbirds I will activate and then put on standby the local provider service. I don't think that would be the way to go for just a weekend home, however.

Watching the thread with interest to see if there is a solution that would work for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm convinced. I'll use the silver, and it will make me happy every time I look at her monogram on it.

But it did present another problem. For some reason, I don't have any tablespoons. So, I think I'll just go with what I have and scout the flea markets and antique stores up there for 6-8 silver tablespoons. Shouldn't cost a lot. (I wish I knew if I really have those tablespoons SOMEWHERE amidst all the crap I have, but I truly don't remember.)

Re the internet: I'm all set up. Comcast is pretty reliable. I just set up my business phone up there, which is key, because I spend a large part of my workday on telephone interviews. It's a landline, but connected to the internet somehow.
    Sterling tablespoons are expensive. Just get plate.

Thread Information