Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Shannon Transformation

I suspect we all have passions we indulge in that others might not share - or are even at odds with passions other people have.

"I am putting myself on a television diet to reduce the amount of time it is on. I rarely just sit and watch anyway. I am always multitasking. Anyway, it kind of sucks you in at times and it is a waste of electricity. I am going to try to NOT turn it on before 7 or 8 at night. I am going to try to find nights NOT to watch it at all. I won't be giving up some shows though. (Cable is part of my rent and there are some things that I still want to watch. ) I need to do some other things to stay busy instead."

Not trying to gang up on you here but those were your words. Words that at the time I thought were pretty insightful about how you had been spending your time and wanting to change it. Then it seemed like you started to double down on your TV/Celebrity posts. TV can be a hard habit to break if you don't have something to replace it. Nothing wrong with liking your shows and wanting to have a cyber/watercooler recap of what you saw or what you are looking forward to. What seemed to have escaped you is that there was a lack of response to a lot of those posts which only seemed to bring more. Isn't a judgement of your interests but perhaps there are forums/media pages more closely aligned to this particular interest where you would get some discussions going.
    Simplicity means different things to different people. I haven't seen anything that looks like bullying. I find this community pretty respectful even if they disagree. You can't expect people to only respond when they support your post. If a little push back causes you this much distress perhaps this isn't your tribe.

19Sandy:

I want you to stay on this forum. So please give what I write here a chance.

Sometime back I posted a lot of things about hoarding -- it is an interest of mine and a few family members have it. While the issue of hoarding is related to simple living it only overlaps to a certain degree. My peers on here definitely busted my chops for incessantly posting about hoarding.

They had a point. Their suggestions were to just have one thread about it and add to it or to just find the most closely related articles and post them for conversation.

I also got my chops busted on here for "trolling" people all the time.

When I looked deeply into myself I realized that the reason I was trolling people was that I was so unhappy with my job. I'd get bored at work and feel like a captive. So I'd post some wacky stuff on here.

Now I am back in school, which gives me some of the social and intellectual stimulation I need. It also makes me think I might get another job someday. At work I have started putting a book in the locker room adjacent to the men's room. So now I will go in there, pretend to use the bathroom, and read for ten minutes when I get really bored.

All this is to say that perhaps you are bored/unhappy with your life, so you watch TV. The answer is not more TV. The answer is taking some agency over your life.

This crowd of simple lifers is a fairly forgiving one. And they forgive gracefully. So don't worry too much that a few of us zinged you about being addicted to TV. Just recenter, decide what you want to do and how you want to simplify. You'll get support here, constructive criticism, and great ideas.

Again: I want you to stay on this forum.

UA and I joined around the same time. I am a hoarder. I am recovering and doing very well, but will never be a minimalist. All the grown ups got to watch us spar. I'm sure it was great fun

i also collect dolls. So I posted a lot about the dehoarding and the doll collection, but I didn't do it because I thought everybody would say "oh, you got rid of that? Why? I used to have one of those?" Or "wow, that was a really good deal, I can't believe all the great dolls you are finding!" I did it because I knew I needed to be kept in check. And the people here checked and supported me - often more than I wanted.

there were a few people who wanted to help me go in a direction that worked for them, but it was not a direction that I felt was for me. I think we came to understand each other pretty well - I learned not to take their posts as an attack on my choices and they learned not to keep showing me these great options I was never going to take. If I ever want to go that way, I know they are there.

i haven't bought, accepted, rescued, etc a doll in a long time. I had to leave e-bay completely. Sometimes I still want to just go look, but I have found other ways to spend my time. I have cut my thrift store visits way down and I try to go focused on a list like any other store.

If you tell people what you are looking for here, they are pretty good about accepting that. But honestly, if I had said "I wish you people would stop being so critical about me when I buy my dolls. I love my dolls! Stop telling me I have too many! I don't want to box them up and put them away! I don't want to get rid of any! I don't know why you can't appreciate that my dolls make me happy." I would have expected any doll related thread to be a non-starter.

when I did post about buying another doll, I posted about why, or how I had made space for it, and there were a few patient people who responded by giving me gentle nudges in the right direction. (Along with a bunch who told me I was a nutcase)

i'm sure you do other things besides eat, sleep and watch tv. (And if you don't I'd have to agree that your life is pretty simple!). You might want to post more about those other things to help people get to know you better. Even eating and sleeping will find more common ground here than tv. You mention moving a lot, and many of us would like to hear your plans or dreams about that, but you never elaborate. If you're just looking for fun conversation, start one about your dream home!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    UA and I joined around the same time. I am a hoarder. I am recovering and doing very well, but will never be a minimalist. All the grown ups got to watch us spar. I'm sure it was great fun

i also collect dolls. So I posted a lot about the dehoarding and the doll collection, but I didn't do it because I thought everybody would say "oh, you got rid of that? Why? I used to have one of those?" Or "wow, that was a really good deal, I can't believe all the great dolls you are finding!" I did it because I knew I needed to be kept in check. And the people here checked and supported me - often more than I wanted.

there were a few people who wanted to help me go in a direction that worked for them, but it was not a direction that I felt was for me. I think we came to understand each other pretty well - I learned not to take their posts as an attack on my choices and they learned not to keep showing me these great options I was never going to take. If I ever want to go that way, I know they are there.

i haven't bought, accepted, rescued, etc a doll in a long time. I had to leave e-bay completely. Sometimes I still want to just go look, but I have found other ways to spend my time. I have cut my thrift store visits way down and I try to go focused on a list like any other store.

If you tell people what you are looking for here, they are pretty good about accepting that. But honestly, if I had said "I wish you people would stop being so critical about me when I buy my dolls. I love my dolls! Stop telling me I have too many! I don't want to box them up and put them away! I don't want to get rid of any! I don't know why you can't appreciate that my dolls make me happy." I would have expected any doll related thread to be a non-starter.

when I did post about buying another doll, I posted about why, or how I had made space for it, and there were a few patient people who responded by giving me gentle nudges in the right direction. (Along with a bunch who told me I was a nutcase)

i'm sure you do other things besides eat, sleep and watch tv. (And if you don't I'd have to agree that your life is pretty simple!). You might want to post more about those other things to help people get to know you better. Even eating and sleeping will find more common ground here than tv. You mention moving a lot, and many of us would like to hear your plans or dreams about that, but you never elaborate. If you're just looking for fun conversation, start one about your dream home!
    fun, but not as fun as The Peggy and Alan show.

( see bolding.)

Chicken lady, you are very cool. You, freshstart (who I miss) and UL livened up this place when ya'll came aboard. We were getting kinda fusty, our little group of same ol same ol.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    fun, but not as fun as The Peggy and Alan show.

( see bolding.)

Chicken lady, you are very cool. You, freshstart (who I miss) and UL livened up this place when ya'll came aboard. We were getting kinda fusty, our little group of same ol same ol.
    freshstart totally left the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Yeah, what happened to freshstart??
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    She just hasn't been around much lately.

I think that when people feel bullied, they tend to leave the forum. Whether someone intends to bully, or troll for fun, or just to offer advice for self-improvement, if the person feels bullied, they leave. Something to consider when evaluating one's own posts.

Well, I'll probably be flamed for this........but if you can't say anything to someone without them feeling "bullied" and over-reacting about it, then maybe they should find a better suited site for themselves.
    When I constantly see posts about reality shows and celebrity news, etc., it makes me feel like this isn't the place I was used to, and I feel it doesn't really have a place here.
    I guess I'm not all love and peace and puppy dogs and butterflies.

Thread Information