Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Indigenous People Day

Happy Indigenous People Day

I understand there is a trend to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day. I am all in favor.

It might have gotten past me at another time, but I just finished reading a book on Manifest Destiny and the settling of the west. It's not a bad thing to have a few reminders of the peoples we abused, besides African American slavery, to give us what ever we have today.

I agree. And the other explorers who landed here never get any credit (Chinese, Northern Europeans, possibly Africans)--maybe because they didn't wreak as much mayhem on earlier inhabitants.

I could see an Indigenous Peoples Day.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

In honor of Indigenous People Day:

Indigenous people believe that Man belongs to the World; civilized people believe that the World belongs to Man.
    Daniel Quinn

A great deal of anthropological/ethnological literature describes indigenous peoples who live in oneness with the natural world and one another. Survival itself necessitates a borderlessness between inner and outer worlds. At times we still feel a return to that unified state. T.S. Eliot’s designation of our return is ‘through the unknown remembered gate.'
    John Zerzan

“The truth is nobody can own anything. That was an unheard-of concept among indigenous people. We invented that.” » Tom Shadyac

“The forest is not a resource for us, it is life itself. It is the only place for us to live.” » Evaristo Nugkuag Ikanan

“Since the beginning, Native Peoples lived a life of being in harmony with all that surrounds us. It is a belief that all humankind are related to each other. Each has a purpose, spirit and sacredness. It is an understanding with the Great Spirit or Creator that we will follow these ways. And in this understanding we believe we are related to all other living species.” » Dennis Banks
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Indigenous people believe that Man belongs to the World; civilized people believe that the World belongs to Man.
    Daniel Quinn
    Ahhh... Daniel Quinn is a definite favorite of mine. One of the first to really get me thinking about... well, everything!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I understand there is a trend to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day. I am all in favor.
    I think this being the U.S. there is probably a trend to replace it with not getting the day off at all.

Although most of us don't anyway, I think I have worked one job ever where I had it off (yes that's right, it was for a bank). And if you don't get it off, there is a tendency to notice it about as much as you you notice GO BALD DAY!!! Traffic was light today though, I needed that grace. Indigenous people, I think it might be nice if they just weren't treated like @#$# in the here and now, which I don't actually think we as a country and a world have evolved beyond at all. But that would be too much to ask. But there is always symbolism to be had. I'm not indigenous, opinions expressed are purely my own.
    Trees don't grow on money

And the Monster Slayer said, "Some things should be left as they are. Perhaps it is better for all of us in the long run that certain enemies endure." From the Navajo Creation Story.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I'm not indigenous, opinions expressed are purely my own.
    Technically, no one is. This continent's original homesteaders simply invaded first.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Technically, no one is. This continent's original homesteaders simply invaded first.
    I think migration is the more commonly accepted term. The mammoths and ground sloths might differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I think migration is the more commonly accepted term.
    I think it applies to those crossing the land bridge from the west, but I'm pretty sure it goes against popular culture to say the same about those who came by ship from the east. Mayhem and abuse are not migratory qualities.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information