Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel guilty but.....

Slight difference now, how many of the burned businesses, were going to survive? A cynical part of me, thinks that there will be businesses, who tried to lure rioters and arsonists, so they get the insurance, or federal disaster area payout. (closing due to stay at home orders)
    I've thought it too. Restaurants here (pre-covid and pre-economic collapse and without riots) have "mysteriously" caught fire after being shut down by the health department. More than one. Hmm ..
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    WOW! SteveinMN really stopped me in my tracks and made me think. And he's right. It is adding to instability for an outsider such as myself to travel to the Twin Cities to protest. He's right.....I always thought it was my duty to travel when possible to fight the truth of American police - but Steve is right - and plenty of folks are protesting for me that live there. In as much as I maintain that the most recent cold blooded murder committed by the Minneapolis PD is a direct threat and affront to the physical safety and well being of each and every American - I get that there is no need for me to be there.

Stay safe from the police SteveinMN and everyone else! They really are spinning out of control and are destroying the nation's social fabric. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Yes. If you can’t trust unconfirmed speculation what can you trust?

My favorite example is the Slate article linking the looting of a Target store with their support of outside security cameras.
    My son left his home today in Minneapolis. He said the air quality was very bad based on the fires and feared the violence was getting worse. He hated to leave his home but felt the need to flee. He commented that people there doing the damage were not all locals. The white men were taking dumpsters and lighting them on fire in the street. My son heard them ask "wonder what it is like for the people who live here." People were coming from all over... one from Indiana. This is NOT SPECULATION but from one who lives there. I have not heard from him yet. I hope he made it out ok.

A cop car is being burned in Philly right now.

Damage last night in Atlanta was in high end areas. https://www.ajc.com/news/local/volun...HqBpQdFd0Y3tK/

Ft Wayne, IN: windows in a Hilton hotel and a Jimmy John's sub restaurant were broken: https://www.wane.com/top-stories/pro...tRla7mKjb7do_Y

Chicago: big protest downtown right now. Peaceful at this time. https://wgntv.com/on-air/live-streaming-sc/

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I think it was the auto parts store that was targeted by the gas-masked guy with a hammer. There are rumors he is a police officer, due to the type of mask. That kind of action may be in play in other areas as well.
    I don't see anything particularly "policey" about the mask that particular person was wearing.

Maybe the original peaceful protestors should have come armed with assault rifles like the protestors in Michigan a few weeks ago. Surely the cops would have Just stood back and let them protest like happened in Michigan. And then when the outsiders showed up maybe they would have thought twice when confronted with protestors carrying so many guns.

In my spin about the nearby neighborhoods here this afternoon I ran across a group of six young women all dressed in black —black jeans black shirts dark tennis shoes and black masks, and I thought that’s weird. ,And then I saw that one of them was stuffing cardboard signs into her trunk and I get it – they’re going out to the protest. It’s a beautiful beautiful day in St. Louis and it will be a beautiful evening and the riots are gonna be big.

In the past couple weeks I was just about ready to put out my “thank you Police “ sign as I take it in and out throughout the years to kind of give it a rest, I think that now is not a good time to put it up. Although I do have one particularly annoying neighbor who I know it would bug, so I would love to put it up just for him.

I have a couple of friends from the island now down in Seattle live-streaming the protest today, sort of fascinating to watch, and hear narration from people I know and trust.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    WOW! SteveinMN really stopped me in my tracks and made me think. And he's right. It is adding to instability for an outsider such as myself to travel to the Twin Cities to protest. He's right....RoB
    But I thought that was the point of protests, to promote “instability.“

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But I thought that was the point of protests, to promote “instability.“
    Ummmmm......no. Not in my world, IL. It's about standing up to and calling attention to injustice. Rob

Thread Information