Thread: Burritos?

Burritos?

Over the past couple days I have been enjoying breakfast burritos (usually for dinner). For mine, I do an egg, some red peppers, onions, garlic, potatoes, salt and pepper. I saute/fry the veggies in olive oil. I chop up some avocado on there too.

Delicious.

My question is:

What sorts of custom-made or tried-and-true or totally unconventional burritos do you enjoy?

I'll only eat my own soups and chilis, but when it comes to burritos, I'm more than satisfied with nuking an Amy's and only exerting enough energy to open up the sour cream and salsa to go with it. If I'm REALLY ambitious, I'll make Spanish rice (from scratch).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    ...when it comes to burritos, I'm more than satisfied with nuking an Amy's and only exerting enough energy to open up the sour cream and salsa to go with it. If I'm REALLY ambitious, I'll make Spanish rice (from scratch).
    I support this strategy. Though I like making them myself. About to make a burrito now!

Funny, but back in TX we really didn't use the term burrito so I am still trying to figure out what they are supposed to be. Overly large tacos? The burritos I have seen here are monstrous - three times the size of a taco. We make soft tacos with all sorts of things - smoked brisket and cotija cheese, egg and sausage or bacon, beans and rice, egg and spinach, egg and potato, caramelized onions and chicken, avocado and chicken - but use corn tortillas. Always with salsa and maybe some chopped cilantro.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that's it's not what you put in them, what you put on them. Green chili, red chili, guacamole, or salsa, all of which can be home made. I do a peach and green chili salsa when they are fresh and in season that is a favorite. In my home burritos are often a quick meal. I roll em up and freeze them, then nuke at meal time. If it's a rush I just put them on chopped lettuce and with some diced tomatoes with a little canned salsa. My burritos are simple. Usually just refried beans and maybe rice or vegan cheese.

Paul Newman's corn/black bean salsa, chicken chunks (I've used canned and left over tenders) slice of provolone, slice of muenster on a flour tortilla- nuke for 2 minutes, add sour cream and eat.

I make breakfast burritos once every weekend. Usually they have eggs, serrano peppers, potatoes, salsa, some sort of cheese and if there was a sale on avacados I'll make guacamole.

Dinner burritos are less consistent because SO doesn't like beans. But if he has a work dinner or whatever and I'm on my own for dinner I'll make them. I cook up beans in bulk from dry beans and then freeze them in 2 serving containers so it is easy to whip up a burrito plus leftovers for lunch the next day. Usually I'll saute whatever veggies appealed to me in the store, along with some Serrano peppers or those squat orange crazy spicy peppers (habenero?), homemade guacamole, shredded cheese and sour cream and make a tomatillo sauce* since I prefer wet burritos. One of the things I tossed in one time that I really loved was cream cheese. That made it super creamy delicious.

*remove the husks and boil a bunch of tomatillos for a few minutes until soft. drain the water, add chicken broth and chopped hot peppers. heat up again. hand blend until smooth. cook down until your desired thickness. (I also add some cornstarch to help thicken)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Funny, but back in TX we really didn't use the term burrito so I am still trying to figure out what they are supposed to be. Overly large tacos? The burritos I have seen here are monstrous - three times the size of a taco. We make soft tacos with all sorts of things - smoked brisket and cotija cheese, egg and sausage or bacon, beans and rice, egg and spinach, egg and potato, caramelized onions and chicken, avocado and chicken - but use corn tortillas. Always with salsa and maybe some chopped cilantro.
    Burritos typically use flour tortillas and are rolled up, either to be eaten with a fork if covered in some sort of sauce/salsa or eaten by hand if not (a la chipotle restaurant style). Personally when I make dinner burritos I use the 10 inch tortillas and don't roll them up, just fold them over. Technically they are soft tacos covered in salsa, but I call them flat burritos, a term I made up which is not used anywhere beyond my kitchen, as far as I know.

And I never use cilantro. I'm part of that genetically superior portion of the population for whom cilantro tastes like soap.

My favorite burrito is about equal parts of well done chopped steak, Mexican rice, whole pinto beans, and guacamole.
    there was a hole in the wall shop that made them close to where I lived years ago- I’d have one at least once a week. I miss them.

Thread Information