Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bloating and gas

I guess you could "Beano" and see if that helps, when you're going to eat beans. I wouldn't want you to give up beans either.
    They're pretty high in carbs, but so good in other things. Do you soak your own, or use canned? I wonder if soaking them yourself overnight, but make them less gassy? But the fact that you've had them a lot before and didn't have problems, makes me think it might be something else.

Yes Jane.......Like they say, it's the second brain. Actually I think it runs a close first with the other brain. When you think of what our GI tracts are made for, and what we put in them, it's not surprising they rebel.
    I'm going to check out that book you mentioned. I just wish I didn't have so much emotional eating. I'm the hungriest, AFTER I eat a meal.......even when it's healthy (fish, veggies, salad). When you're comforted with food as an infant, it's tough to break that.

I Contain Multitudes is a wonderful, readable science book.

I have a lead stomach and can eat most anything without effect but garbanzo beans do me in every time.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Your gut biome essentially runs your life, for good or ill. Antibiotics (and other drugs) can wipe it out; everything you eat and drink influences it.

The book I Contain Multitudes, by Ed Yong, tells the fascinating story.
    Kefir! Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Kefir! Try it.
    I enjoy kefir, kombucha, yogurt, kimchi, etc.
    I used to say I could digest a piano; no digestive problems here.

I will have to check it out Jane. Thanks for the recommendation. I would describe myself as having well-controlled IBS; I pretty much know my triggers and how to avoid or minimize them.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I will have to check it out Jane. Thanks for the recommendation. I would describe myself as having well-controlled IBS; I pretty much know my triggers and how to avoid or minimize them.
    It's a fascinating book; any real discussion of human digestion, as I recall, is mostly incidental. I came across it on a list of Bill Gates' recent reads.

if you've really upped your fiber intake, did you try upping your fluid intake, too? Going up 2 sizes quickly from bloating would concern me enough to check in with my GYN.

Thread Information