Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Thinking I might retire on 12/1!

Maybe the question should be about what are the options to support ourselves and supply our needs in today's community.

In earlier times, this was accomplished by shared hunting, foraging, food raising and preserving. The community chose leaders and worked together for the benefit of the good of all, taking care of the vulnerable. Churches and other community organizations still continue to help those in need using volunteers. The recent tragedies displayed during hurricanes and shootings show that this community spirit is latent in mankind but comes to the visible foreground when needed.

Power structures changed all that and some became the serfs and some became the lords with power over the serfs, whether paid or not. Some serfs became badly abused, enslaved; but eventually some of the power lords started to give some authority and sense of shared responsibility to the serfs.

Self-interest ruled! What is in it for me in terms of $$$$$$. Now we have severe economic inequality. I see, on this site as well, those who have benefitted from the current power structure taking full credit for their success that was only possible due to the change in community/society's norms. I am as guilty of this as anyone else but I know it and feel strongly that I owe to the community so volunteer. Others want to maintain this power structure, the $$$$$ to be gained and control access to it.

As jobs change with the technological advances emerging, many will lose that power and scream about the injustice of it all. We are hearing about all the great jobs lost in steel mills, manufacturing, etc., increasingly replaced by robots to serve in self-interest $$$$ benefit to the shareholders and management. Few jobs are immune to this change. A friend was telling me that she was undergoing surgery to be performed by a specially-designed robot!

Not really sure how this will all work out though. Basically I am an optimist so we will see...
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    No, not really. The description of the volunteer position may fit, although the number of volunteers for the reading program ensured that individuals could pretty much work at their convenience. Plus, all our long tours of the west take place during summer months when school is not in session.
    New information! Always useful in a discussion. And picking the motorcycle tour was a device. Could have been a Caribbean cruise in February or whatever. Or DW could have volunteered someplace where the organization always is in session. The point holds in general. It just does not hold for your wife in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it's immoral to take away a person's ability to voluntarily make a difference in a child's life.
    I agree; no complaint about that. Not sure where that fits into this discussion, but okay.

And, to CL's point, no, paid staff are not automatically "better" at a job than a volunteer.

However, the way "work" is set up in America today, money is one of the few things an organization can leverage to encourage the meeting of standards among people who otherwise may not be inclined to show up at specific times, do the job as asked, keep records, etc. It's a rare corps of volunteers which is willing to meet the highest standards for the job and deal with the administrative overhead; most of us never get to volunteer in such an environment. And, for most volunteers, it's not part of the work agreement. True, pay is no guarantor that the employee will do all those things -- but then there's a recourse beyond hoping to find someone else to do the critical job for "free".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Well I've done a 180, or I guess actually a 360. I have set all the pieces in motion for retirement on 12/1/17. I hope it all works well, such a scary step, and I will certainly have a new sense of purpose on the Frugals thread!

Yppej
    Any trigger? For me it would be the prospect of winter commuting.

Wishing you the best.

I am actually not surprised. It seemed like you really wanted to go. good luck!

I am really happy for you, Rosa!!!

Yppej: The short version is that it was a combination of working 12 hour days and still slowly sinking, and a change to retiree health insurance benefits very much for the worse for those retiring after 12/1/17.
    This has been really hard. I am not usually so indecisive.
    Thanks for the good wishes again everyone. You will all get to hear how it plays out for sure!

I think it's going to work out great, rosa! Congrats!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think it's going to work out great, rosa! Congrats!
    I will second this ! Here’s to a new Chapter. Turn the page.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yppej: The short version is that it was a combination of working 12 hour days and still slowly sinking
    I have some friends who have their retirement "points" but are unsure when they will retire. They say their retirement date is "TBD": "Three Bad Days" (in a row).

Congratulations again, RR!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information