Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Living Artificially

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Now Mr. Just Off the Boat who has never paid a penny in taxes is applying for SSI because of his bad heart. I know several disabled US citizens who cannot get approved.
    What makes you believe he'll get approved for SSI right away?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    I am bothered that he can even apply. He gave all his productive years to another country, now he is here to get on the gravy train. He may get it because cardiologists like to suggest SSI to their indigent patients and are good at filling out the paperwork in such a way as to get Social Security to approve it. I knew a guy who gave himself congestive heart failure smoking crack. When he couldn't pay for his medical appointments the doctor told him to get on SSI and Medicaid. He did and continued working but off the books, using his SSI as extra money for street drugs. He and many other people who have had heart surgery can and do work. But the loophole for expedited processing is the cardiologist (or oncologist etc) certifies this as a terminal case. Mr. Terminal Crackhead is still above ground 6 years after he qualified for benefits. He is a citizen, so there are also citizens abusing the system.

Yet many citizens with severe mental health issues cannot get approved because there no tests like ones cardiologists run to prove they have a disorder. Also I have known a couple citizens with leg issues so infected they cannot walk (one was confined to the hospital with a machine to drain the leg attached to it 24/7, the other had 8 knee and leg surgeries and numerous plates and was also bedridden). They were turned down also.

We should take care of our own first, and certain diseases should not have priority and other ones be stigmatized. The disparity in granting benefits is one reason we have so many mentally ill homeless citizens. We also could process citizen applications more quickly and not have such a backlog if we didn't let noncitizens apply. So much for their sponsor will support them.
    Last edited by Yppej; 2-4-19 at 7:56pm. Reason: Typos

Not to argue any of the points you stated; just curious that, since so many people are advised that SSDI will be denied the first time they apply, how you were sure this guy would be okayed when so many others are not.

As for other illnesses not being stigmatized, agreed. But mental health has been riding the caboose on that for centuries. I can understand that SSDI needs to screen for people who have no alternative to disability, but it should not require highly-paid legal help to make one's case successfully. Lots of things broken there.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

If you have more than 2k in assets you don’t qualify for SSI. You must have little or no income. It takes many people 2 years to get SSDI unless they are terminal. Many lawyers will take a case for free and then take a third of the back pay if they won. Many are not capable of doing the paperwork correctly and can’t keep up with continuing paperwork, etc. For our clients that truly deserved it we would refer them if they couldn’t handle it themselves and many could not especially with MI. SSI usually is between 300-500/month.

The idea that our crappy medical "care" system is a "gravy train" is a cruel, unfunny joke.

It needs a complete overhaul, getting greed/profit out of the mix.

We would be able to cover everyone's needs and save money simultaneously. The system currently in place is about twice as costly as any other developed country's.

Yppej
    It's a gravy train compared to a Third World country like Cambodia.

I know someone (not a citizen but a Dreamer) who 15 years ago was getting over $800 a month in SSI, but some of that was a state supplement to the Federal benefit, plus Medicaid, SNAP, subsidized housing, etc. He applied for citizenship but was denied because he would be a public charge which was kind of stupid to me inasmuch as he was a public charge anyways his entire adult life. He was from Haiti and believe me he was very grateful for the medical care here. More people envy our system and want in than the other way around.

I have never seen SSI higher than 500.

Yppej
    In Massachusetts it is called SSP, State Supplement Plan.

So the state supplement the federal benefits. I have never heard of that

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So the state supplement the federal benefits. I have never heard of that
    I don't know if it's supplemental but there is state disability in CA as well, SDI, and we are paying for it, 1% tax on income for that.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information