Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my day just got significantly worse

my day just got significantly worse

Some of you may know from previous posts that my job has been a big disappointment and a letdown since I got it. For various reasons, I feel stuck here (as well as in my personal life) and cannot seem to make a change (esp. since I live in an area where there are few decent jobs).

Today I found out that my only friend at work is leaving to go to another job. She works part of the time in systems admin, and that part of her job will be taken over by someone that nobody likes.

The rest of the staff? Half of them I wouldn't trust as far as I can spit, the rest are really dull people with whom I have nothing in common.

I am going through such a hard time right now in my personal life. It's just been one thing after another, and now this.

Yppej
    Maybe someday her new company will need someone and she'll bring you there. In the meantime I'm sorry for you.

Thank you for the nice thoughts, but it's a school in Cleveland and I don't think I'll be going there anytime soon.

It's just another incentive for me to get out of this department.

I thought things would get better when they moved a guy I'll simply call The Jerk to another area. But I'm not any happier. Less stressed out, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Maybe someday her new company will need someone and she'll bring you there. In the meantime I'm sorry for you.

Yppej
    Well if not that connection maybe another one. Keep networking.

I'm sorry times are tough for you frugalone.

So sorry. I'm feeling stuck myself. Need a change.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thank you all for your kind words.

I know little or nothing about networking. I feel like I'm in a freakin' cage in this job. I can't attend social events because of my work hours. There is no professional association for library workers around here. So really, I don't see things changing much in the near future.

Since the library workers are paid the same as the clerical staff, perhaps I'll apply for an admin assistant job if one comes up within the university. I've been here 5 years and only once did something come up I wanted to apply for. And I chickened out. I lost most of my confidence in my ability to do just about anything other than sit here and check books in and out. They did a real number on my ego at my last position. One of the high points? I overheard a meeting in which everyone was trash-talking me and my work. VERY professional.

oh frugal I so understand. It is hard enough to apply for jobs and try to make a change but when you have had your confidence trashed it is even harder. I know I am climbing out of the confidence pit myself and it is part of trying to make a work change. I also understand the work hours thing, I am on call 60 hours a week so it is hard to even have energy to do things after work, much less arrange to meet people or attend groups.

I don't know if Linked in is really effective but I am on that and gaining people on a steady basis. I have talked to some people in person, I am afraid of sounding needy when I say anything about looking for another job however. So not much help on networking, but the administrative assistant could be a good move. I think the hours would be better at least,

Thanks, Zoe Girl. Thanks for understanding.

NOthing worse then being in a job where the atmosphere is terrible. So sorry you are going through this.

Thread Information