Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mouse Holocaust

Since this thread has come back to life, I will note that the Tomcat traps have caught more mice. One thing I'm noting, though, (SPOILER ALERT) is that the Tomcats

seem to cut deeper than the blunt metal of the Victor traps. There were a few bodies that -- umm -- bled out some, requiring cleanup besides the body. Still easier to use than the Victors, though.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Eeeww, Steve. My husband doesn't like TomKats because we haven't had much luck catching mice with them. He swears by Victor.

I like my live-catch box but I have to say I almost feel worse throwing them out into the elements than I do just ending it for them once and for all. I've had to walk back a couple of mice to the creek, and I put them down in places where there are high grasses to protect them, and I throw in a a few snacks for the road.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I struggle with this issue. We've had many pet rodents over the years and love all animals; are vegetarians. We've used both the humane traps and the "classic" traps, and poison. I won't use poison anymore because of the possibility of one of my pets getting out of its cage and ingesting the poison (this happened with our dog about 20 years ago and you don't wanna know about it, believe me. He did survive, however.). At this point we are down to using the Victor brand trap, and I usually cry every time we catch one of the little critters. I just hate killing anything.

Anything except centipedes.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    I struggle with this issue. We've had many pet rodents over the years and love all animals; are vegetarians. We've used both the humane traps and the "classic" traps, and poison. I won't use poison anymore because of the possibility of one of my pets getting out of its cage and ingesting the poison (this happened with our dog about 20 years ago and you don't wanna know about it, believe me. He did survive, however.). At this point we are down to using the Victor brand trap, and I usually cry every time we catch one of the little critters. I just hate killing anything.

Anything except centipedes.
    Centipedes Lives Matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Centipedes Lives Matter.

Yes, they do.

Yppej
    Mosquitoes?

Well, I think it's time to call the exterminator. We haven't seen any mice lately after catching a few, but we found droppings behind the oven. Then when we turned on the oven to cook the turkey, the smell was really foul. We haven't used the oven in a while.

I cleaned the inside of the oven thoroughly, but it didn't do a thing. So I looked online, and I read that if there has been a mice infestation, they will frequently seek shelter in the oven where they will poop and pee inside the insulation. You can maybe get the crap and the smell out by dismantling the stove, but it's a very difficult job. Some people recommended replacing the stove! Our stove is only 3 years old.

Can anyone here confirm or refute this? Do you think we'll have to ditch the stove? I'm calling in a professional and we'll see what he says, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience.

Thank God our turkey was small, and our microwave/confection oven is big. We were able to cram it in there and save the day. Otherwise, DH/BIL and I would have been having Thanksgiving dinner at IHOP. Also I thank God we weren't having Christmas with the kids!!! At least I have 3 weeks to rectify this problem before they come for Christmas
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Williamsmith
    Is this a built in oven? Otherwise, you would have pulled it out already and accessed the situation right?

Yes, we pulled the oven out, but we didn't actually look inside from the back. We did see that an old gas line hole is probably where they are getting in to the kitchen in general.

Williamsmith
    It shouldn’t be too puzzling to remove the outer cover and take a look see. My guess is you got a dead mouse inside. Clean it out good and seal up the gas line hole with some of that foam insulation spray. Those little buggers can really stink when they go to mouse heaven,

Thread Information