Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contact lens question

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Maybe invest in a couple of fire extinguishers instead, lol.
    LOL. It would probably take more than a couple since the fire I"m really worried about will be happening outside in the wilderness area behind our house!

I get my glasses at Costco. They were $250 for frames with progressive lenses, anti-glare, and transitional (turn dark in the sunshine). I would be hesitant to buy glasses online because it almost always takes at least several tweaks to get the frames feeling just right, and since I wear my glasses all the time, this is critical. The Costco optician did tell me they will adjust/repair for glasses from online vendors, but they don't feel very good about it, and I honestly cannot imagine having the gall to even request such a thing!
    I believe I posted about it previously, but the last pair of glasses I bought just didn't ever feel comfortable and I couldn't wear them. I went back to Costco, and they helped me pick a pair of frames that was a better fit for my face (apparently the pair I had selected had too wide of a nose bridge and were never going to sit where they were supposed to, plastic frames), and they replaced for no charge. So service like that will keep me going back, plus prices that are very reasonable compared to other non-online options. I think it's great if you can get what you need online, but I just don't see that as a good option for my own personal circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I get my glasses at Costco. They were $250 for frames with progressive lenses, anti-glare, and transitional (turn dark in the sunshine)..
    That's a very good price.

I was hesitant to order online, but I'm pretty pleased with my glasses. They fit me well. There is also a pretty good return policy: 100% store credit or 50% refund.

Warby Parker actually sends you 5 pairs of glasses that you can try on at home and then pick one and send them back. I think that's probably a better way to go than the virtual try-on method that the other online sites have. I didn't feel I got a really good sense of what they would look like IRL. So I just rolled the dice with my best guess, and it turned out fine.

Nice glasses, jp! When you described how narrow they were, this is the first person that came to mind (cue Turn, Turn, Turn):

The Byrds.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

As far as size goes, my lenses are 1 & 3/4 inches high and are progressives. I imagine there is a minimum size for progressives to work, but I don't know what that size is.

I also started with hard lenses for astigmatism correction at the age of 14 - when my parents paid for them. Shortly after adulthood, I traded the astigmatism correction for soft lenses at a considerably lower price. Upon reaching "a certain age", I then went with soft multi focal contacts.

Over the years, I would have the occasional irritation or even pink eyes so always had a pair of glasses for emergency use.

About five years ago, I got a cut on the covering of my eye, and then needed to use glasses while I healed. The eye place fitted me with a current prescription with progressive lenses for $100. I thought I would use them temporarily while I healed, but I never did go back to contacts. (I've since gotten several.other pairs of glasses)

Hubby got that ONE pair of glasses that just don't work out. With progressives, if the lenses aren't right one can get dizzyness and headaches. He told them when fitting they were off, but they said to get used to them. He couldn't and they replaced at no charge. This is the primary reason I'd use an in person provider.

Went to the eye doc today. Eyes are still super healthy and my left distance prescription actually got one notch better. No other changes. Talked to the optician and he thinks they can use my frames but they have to send them to the factory so I’d be without glasses for a couple of weeks. I may do that but not until November, after I’m done with the 3 weeks in a row of upcoming work travel and the weekend trip we have planned at the end of October for my birthday.

Funny story. Driving into the city for my appointment today I was wearing my glasses, which they tell hard contacts wearers to do before the exam for better accuracy. There’s a tunnel just before the Golden Gate Bridge. Normally I’m wearing sunglasses and lift them off my face as I enter the tunnel since it’s darker in it. Today, as is my habit, I did the same thing with my regular glasses and quickly realized the mistake…

The last time I went to Costco for glasses the optometrist exclaimed about the extent of my astigmatism and how it really must bother me. I had to laugh, because I've never worn glasses regularly and so how I see is just what it is. Just like El Greco, maybe.

Perhaps el greco had untreated astigmatism… (I assume back in his day people just had to live with it).

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Perhaps el greco had untreated astigmatism… (I assume back in his day people just had to live with it).
    Yes--that was what I was referencing. As I said to the optometrist, I've been living with it all my life--it's just how I see.
    When I do wear glasses, I can read better at a distance, but that's about it.

Thread Information