Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trump's Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Who knows what the truth is, but if he were going to leak it would make sense to pick a 'bland' year like the one that is now public.
    You would need to look at many years in a row to get even a vague idea of the underlying financial situation.

I go for multiple years without *any* income on my 1040, then there's the occasional year with quite a bit. I do this on purpose, and I'm pretty sure most people with the ability to do so do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Who knows what the truth is, but if he were going to leak it would make sense to pick a 'bland' year like the one that is now public.
    Also the first 2 pages in a tax return is basically just a summary, all you really get is how much was listed as income and how much was paid in taxes - I would think any real details are going to be in the schedules and attached forms, and they aren't available.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    You would need to look at many years in a row to get even a vague idea of the underlying financial situation.

I go for multiple years without *any* income on my 1040, then there's the occasional year with quite a bit. I do this on purpose, and I'm pretty sure most people with the ability to do so do the same.
    well what IS the point of asking for Trump's tax returns? I havent really figured it out.

But it appears that top two pages will not make the mob happy. Creaker and others wont be satisfied until more is put out there. And then it will come under a cloud. And it will apoear to have been altered. And it will never be seen as the real tax return.

Kinda like the Obama birth certificate.

Maybe we should've asked to see trump's birth certificate. Maybe he was actually born in russia... But seriously, I think the issue is just how entangled he is with russia. For all we know he's either gotten some sweatheart income from them, or perhaps worse, has some mega debt to russian banks.

I could sit here and come up with scenarios all day long that would compromise his integrity towards the US (even worse than his already near total lack of integrity). Maybe his tax returns won't tell us, but his adamant desire to keep them hidden will forever raise suspicion. If he were just some random buffoon I wouldn't care, but he's the buffoon in chief of the most powerful country in the world. His decisions literally have the power to decide the life and death of millions of people. With that comes a loss of privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    well what IS the point of asking for Trump's tax returns? I havent really figured it out.

But it appears that top two pages will not make the mob happy. Creaker and others wont be satisfied until more is put out there. And then it will come under a cloud. And it will apoear to have been altered. And it will never be seen as the real tax return.

Kinda like the Obama birth certificate.
    I think the tax returns have become much less important - the original intent of releasing tax returns (why previous presidents have done this) was to show where there might be financial conflicts of interest. I think that can clearly be shown without tax returns at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I also completed my financial disclosure forms for my state elected office, to conform with our disclosure rules. This filing lets you know just about everything there is to know.

Weird that a local-level elected position with very limited authority and scope has more intense disclosure/ethics requirements than, say, the position of President of the USA...
    Imagine the endless, relentless legal ankle-biting that would be directed at this or any president if people had such a wealth of technicalities to work with.

Thread Information