Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best bang-for-the-buck foods

Wonderful dress!

Yppej
    Eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Eggs.
    I agree, it’s amazing how cheap, nutritious, and low calorie eggs are.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What is jarrhadale?

Jane, you and DH should be culinary partners. He would go 75/25 if he could. There was a Halal market near us in NJ that sold ground beef with that much fat, and DH overlooked his somewhat biased views to patronize the market regularly.
    Is he an aficionado of all foods ethnic? If I had a staff, Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. would be 75% of my diet.

I would definitely patronize a halal market if there were one nearby.

It's true I like my meat old-style, with fat and flavor intact. Any food stripped of its natural fat is an abomination, IMO.

Rice, dried beans, and legumes, and oatmeal, especially in bulk. Peanut butter, pastas, and homemade breads.

(Cool wedding photo, too!)

Beautiful dress!!! They look so happy!

I agree about soup being very nutritious and economical. I'll add in sprouts as well. While the initial layout can appear expensive, the actual amount of sprouted greens you get is inexpensive.

Cabbage - although it is a little higher priced right now than usual here, but it can be used in salads, soups, casseroles, etc. Very versatile and seems to last longer in my fridge than lettuce.

Everyone has listed my other suggestions.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I second cabbage, as well as many traditional greens, which I have to remind myself to eat...
    And eggs--so versatile. Liver is the best, but it's not a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Is he an aficionado of all foods ethnic? If I had a staff, Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. would be 75% of my diet.

I would definitely patronize a halal market if there were one nearby.

It's true I like my meat old-style, with fat and flavor intact. Any food stripped of its natural fat is an abomination, IMO.
    Well, he's not that adventurous (he doesn't like spicy food), but he is obsessed with Asian street food--he watches videos of it morning, noon, and night. He wanted to buy me a street food tour when I went to Japan, but I never took him up on it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, he's not that adventurous (he doesn't like spicy food), but he is obsessed with Asian street food--he watches videos of it morning, noon, and night. He wanted to buy me a street food tour when I went to Japan, but I never took him up on it.
    From my very limited experience, Japanese is my least favorite of Asian cuisines, due to its dependence on seafood, but I would have been happy to go along with him for ramen, yakisoba, curries, and tempura. I hope he got to go on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    From my very limited experience, Japanese is my least favorite of Asian cuisines, due to its dependence on seafood, but I would have been happy to go along with him for ramen, yakisoba, curries, and tempura. I hope he got to go on his own.
    Really?? I LOVE Japanese food.. but I love seafood. I love the simplicity, the presentation...

We didn't go to Japan together (business travel), so he has yet to explore the street food of Japan or China or anywhere else in Asia, unfortunately.

Picture of the AIRLINE food (ANA--All Nippon Airlines). It was gorgeous, and tasted gorgeous, too.
    IMG_0613.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information