Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Has the News Changed Your Daily Life?

I chose to not have TV at all. No regrets at all. While I have a FB account, I only use it to access information from sites that I choose.

I choose what I want to watch and read online and carefully choose my sources making sure that I have diversity each day.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I chose to not have TV at all. No regrets at all. While I have a FB account, I only use it to access information from sites that I choose.

I choose what I want to watch and read online and carefully choose my sources making sure that I have diversity each day.
    Do you feel you are conscious of the effort social media sites like FB make to filter your sources, direct information that the algorithm thinks you are interested in or wants you to know? Al Gores Internet is a vast universe of information, much of it you never see because your search engines will not direct you there......unless you purposefully negotiate around the firewall. Does this sound too big brotherish?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    There are parts of it that are off topic in ways that my students are not mature enough to handle well. Too much class time and energy would end up focused on redirecting them to the pertinate parts and reminding them of the nature of civil debate. A situation which reflects current news coverage and the behavior of their elders.

so, actually I COULD do that, but only if I was willing to focus the class more on civics and debate and less on the agriculture part. The point of my class is not “what do you think about these policies?” It’s “what effect do you think these policies are likely to have and what behavioral responses are likely/reasonable for farmers”

ie, we don’t argue about crop subsidies, we look at the effect they have on price and acreage planted.
    Thank you for that thoughtful response. I was an Agriculture major at Penn State and I must say that because of federal policies and subsidies...politics and agriculture are branches of the same tree. Sit in any dinner in rural America and one realizes conversation always circles back to Washington DC. I wish young people could be convinced that a small farm is a viable vocational pursuit and that chasing the large agribusiness is fraught with too many worries and concerns. Well, there has always been a few organic community farmers but I secretly harbor fantasies of WalMarts and big box groceries vanishing along with the global food product market.

But what was this thread about again? Oh, the fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I wish young people could be convinced that a small farm is a viable vocational pursuit and that chasing the large agribusiness is fraught with too many worries and concerns.
    There seems to have been a trend that direction don't you think? I can't tell you the number of small scale farming videos I've watched on youtube and I'm always seeing blogs, magazine articles, interviews with "the new small farmer". I love reading about how much produce can be farmed small scale. Farmers Markets are continuing to grow and the vendors in that 28-42 age range has seem to grown as well. Maybe this should be a different thread since it's not News but I find it more interesting than anything coming out of our national or state news (Missouri) right now. Our 120 acre farm was always considered small-scale and dad always had a full time job in addition to the farm jobs but it had room for hay fields, woods for personal timber and hunting, row crops (we rotated soybean, corn, etc), Christmas tree farm, food plots, personal garden, horses, dogs (raised hunting beagles), cattle (usually a heard of 40), we did sheep for a while (stupid), we did turkeys, we raised pheasants for conservation department. I currently have a huge interest in raising quail either on my own half acre or if I moved back to the farm. Currently the farm is mostly in various conservation programs such as restoring prairie grasses.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I haven't been driven to doomsday prepping by the news. But I will change my route when they warn me about traffic jams.
    Small time thinking! Only worried about what affects you now and directly! Unfortunately, there are many others like this!

In response to OP... I read three articles yesterday that rankled big time. I will be happy when this administration is gone! Everything now is for the benefit of big business and the small guy can go to hell. One of the articles was ... In WI, wolves are on the endangered species list and WI doesn't plan on changing the law BUT have decided not to enforce it in any way. So poachers or worse can do what they want. Another was that they are going to allow strip mining .... basically getting rid of all regulations. WTH I should do as others are and quit paying attention to the madness! The other article was how they are talking about doing away with minimum wages, overtime provisions, etc. We are going back to 1937 when companies could do what they wanted! Disgusting IMO.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    There seems to have been a trend that direction don't you think? I can't tell you the number of small scale farming videos I've watched on youtube and I'm always seeing blogs, magazine articles, interviews with "the new small farmer". I love reading about how much produce can be farmed small scale. Farmers Markets are continuing to grow and the vendors in that 28-42 age range has seem to grown as well. Maybe this should be a different thread since it's not News but I find it more interesting than anything coming out of our national or state news (Missouri) right now.
    It must be the community I live in that is really aging. Our farmers markets are populated by retirees from the railroad, state and municipal government and part time workers who subsidize their own health care in order to farm. However, I do see your point and think possibly this is a regional matter as I recall visiting Asheville, North Carolina and being impressed with the young “back to nature” crowd buzzing around. As well as the older yippies that sell their art in quaint shops and outlets. I’m an amalgamation of 60s hippie and 80s conservatism, which causes me some profound confusion at times.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    In response to OP... I read three articles yesterday that rankled big time. I will be happy when this administration is gone! Everything now is for the benefit of big business and the small guy can go to hell. One of the articles was ... In WI, wolves are on the endangered species list and WI doesn't plan on changing the law BUT have decided not to enforce it in any way. So poachers or worse can do what they want. Another was that they are going to allow strip mining .... basically getting rid of all regulations. WTH I should do as others are and quit paying attention to the madness!
    Isn’t it really the over abundance of “information” which drives you to frustration, never mind sorting out the validity of it. I prefer to sit at the local breakfast joint and discuss the reasons why the County Fair lost money last year than to fret about the last wolf roaming WI. Not that it isn’t a concern.....it is just I can’t possibly process all concerns. We must be reasonable in our consumption of all things.....including news.

It has made me hopeless about life even beyond a degree that any of my upbringing and my circumstances would have warranted (and neither are great). I mostly can't think of anything much good about it.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Do you feel you are conscious of the effort social media sites like FB make to filter your sources, direct information that the algorithm thinks you are interested in or wants you to know? Al Gores Internet is a vast universe of information, much of it you never see because your search engines will not direct you there......unless you purposefully negotiate around the firewall. Does this sound too big brotherish?
    Come come, WS, is your bias that bad. Talk about fakes news and misinformation! I had never heard the phrase "Al Gore's internet" so checked with Snopes since I try really hard to fact check statement and they state: FALSE

"Despite the multitudinous derisive references to the supposed quote that continue to be proffered even today, former U.S. vice president
    Al Gore never claimed that he “invented” the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. The legend arose from critics and pundits who plucked a relatively credible statement Gore made during the course of an interview, altered its wording, and stripped it of context to make it seem a ridiculously self-serving falsehood."

That said, i only use FB to check a few sites who have a FB page for notifications about coming events about once every 3 months or so. Yes, there is control by many striving to tell me how to think. There is a lot of knowledge out there in the rest of the world beyond FB. This post sounds a little snarky to me but i really am perturbed with 'false derisive' comments.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information