Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in California's Governor today......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Disappointed in California's Governor today......

I'll get over it as California has been a beacon of hope in America since Trump was elected, but today I'm disappointed. I was so hoping California's Governor would join Kate Brown of Oregon and refuse to send troops to the border but he caved and is sending troops. The world is not ending - I was just hoping for another STATEMENT from the State of California, is all.

I'm sure it won't be long until California makes another STATEMENT (in all caps to signify a statement against the current Administration). Rob

During the time frame you've been posting on this site and it's predecessor, California has sent over 1200 National Guard troops to assist at their southern border at the request of two different Presidents. Did you mention it here previously or has something changed?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

California sent the Guard with some conditions... For instance, that they can;t be used for any immigration enforcement or wall-related actitivities.

I realize the headlines make for better outrage.

Why is a secure border such a terrible thing?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Why is a secure border such a terrible thing?
    In and of itself, a secure border is not a bad thing. I'll give you that here and now. The problem(s) with the concept here and now are the overmilitarization of the Borderlands to begin with by a military with a Them vs. US culture - a type of thinking that is encouraged from the very top on down and a type of thinking that can lead to innocent Mexican (and other) nationals being shot and killed.

Also, the antagonization of Mexico by the Trump Administration is beyond unwise. Trump honestly does not understand what a safety valve Mexico is for many Americans for whom America does not work - for time out of United States affordably and for affordable health care across the border that many Americans are not worth on their side of the border. We truly should be kissing Mexico's rear end a bit for providing the United States with a safety valve for how brutal it is/can be - and what does America do? Seeks to continue to antagonize a safely valve against America......not very bright by the GOP and it shows just how out of touch the GOP is with everyday Americans. Very scary people Conservatives can be when they go too far and chose to not understand the basics of US Citizenship and how for many Americans, US citizenship is not the best deal for them. I've yet to ever hear a Conservative fess up to or face this reality. The lack of even admitting this reality amongst a population dealing with increasing housing and food insecurity? Not very bright and this does not bode well for the GOP's future methinks...........Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 4-15-18 at 10:23pm. Reason: mistake in my wording

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    California sent the Guard with some conditions... For instance, that they can;t be used for any immigration enforcement or wall-related actitivities.

I realize the headlines make for better outrage.
    Bae,I had not read that there were conditions placed on California's participation in this spectacle. I will research further to find out more.........Thank You for letting me know that there is more to this story. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    In and of itself, a secure border is not a bad thing. I'll give you that here and now. The problem(s) with the concept here and now are the overmilitarization of the Borderlands to begin with by a military them a Them vs. US culture - a type of thinking that is encouraged from the very top on down and a type of thinking that can lead to innocent Mexican (and other) nationals being shot and killed.

Also, the antagonization of Mexico by the Trump Administration is beyond unwise. Trump honestly does not understand what a safety valve Mexico is for many Americans for whom America does not work - for time out of United States affordably and for affordable health care across the border that many Americans are not worth on their side of the border. We truly should be kissing Mexico's rear end a bit for providing the United States with a safety valve for how brutal it is/can be - and what does America do? Seeks to continue to antagonize a safely valve against America......not very bright by the GOP and it shows just how out of touch the GOP is with everyday Americans. Very scary people Conservatives can be when they go too far and chose to not understand the basics of US Citizenship and how for many Americans, US citizenship is not the best deal for them. I've yet to ever hear a Conservative fess up to or face this reality. The lack of even admitting this reality amongst a population dealing with increasing housing and food insecurity? Not very bright and this does not bode well for the GOP's future methinks...........Rob
    I don't know where this "us versus them mentality" is coming from. It inclines me to think you haven 't had much experience with the military.

As for the "kindness" of Mexico toward American medical tourists, I imagine they expect to be paid for their services. If I can get get my Scotch more cheaply from Discount Liquors than from Bibo Ergo Sum, that doesn't necessarily mean Discount Liquors is brimming with the milk of human kindness.

Medical tourism is big business for Mexico as it is for some other countries. I too doubt it has anything to do with any warm and fuzzy feelings for people.

If securing the borders helps with drug trafficking, than I am all for it. Unfortunately, I think it's kind of a joke as that cat has been out of the bag for years.

Not sure what you expect to change. As stated, this has been done before, and may be again, as troops both get training (use of equipment such as heat detectors, installing vibration detectors/motion detectors, etc), and are a more cost effective solution, then all the issues with building a wall (including where the border runs through private property, water issues, etc.
    You still go through your same checkpoint to get to your health care, your not going to just walk across someone else's property to go into that country.

Thread Information