Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: We evacuated

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    A friend's daughter and BF lived in Key West and are not evacuating. They are stupid, stupid people. Hurricane warnings have been posted, as well as storm surge warnings for the Keys.
    We just did a multi-agency Big Storm drill tonight. I can't imagine not leaving. I wouldn't even stay to help people, there'd be no point.

I have family in Fort Lauderdale. They, with their children and grandchildren, are choosing to stay. They talk about praying. They have the financial means to not only leave but to take an extended vacation for everyone. I just don't understand that way of thinking.

I'm listening to a Miami radio station online. They're staying that worst case scenario, the Keys will be covered with water.

Quote Originally Posted by TVRodriguez View Post
    We do not live in one of the two zones that were evacuated. Zones A and B were evacuated. We are in Zone C. DH had more faith in our house than I do. But I have friends who lived through Andrew. I have heard enough of their stories. I hope to God the forecast is wrong bc the center of the cone passes through my area. He says that our house has been through plenty of storms and came through fine. I'm not going to take that chance when I have this option. I have lots of friends who stayed though.
    Looks like CNN is now saying that the latest consensus is that the hurricane will hit Marathon/The Keys, and may spare the eastern shore/Miami the worst, although it will certainly get hit hard, and the storm surge is also a significant danger. They also said that the Everglades may allow Irma to actually speed up as it travels northward.

I'm thinking of my friend in that very exclusive community of Ocean Reef in Key Largo. I'm wondering what it will look like after it's all over. I'm not concerned about her safety, though--she's probably out of harm's way in one of their two other residences in the Northeast.

TVRodriguez, as my mother used to say, I'll "shoot one up" (pray) for your DH and your home. dmc, I'll do the same for your home. Glad you'll be safe and enjoying Tennessee.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Last update shows 80mph winds forecast at my house. In Virginia with lots of other Forisians. We went a little west once we were out of Florida and had little traffic. Just going a few more hours north to family tomorrow. I am so thankful we left
    Glad you found a route with little traffic, flowerseverywhere. Have a safe trip. My brother tried to make flight reservations, but everything was booked. He drove South, and then returned home. He is in Pompano Beach. He has a rebuilt home that is designed for this type of disaster. I hope he and his wife are okay. You must feel very relieved.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    They evacuated trailer and manufactured homes yesterday. Today low lying areas and opened more shelters in my county. We are technically not in a flood zone but I would not be surprised to see some as one area is less than a mile from our house. Our rain forecast is 10-15". Ground is already saturated. We have a surveillance camera and can already see rain and blowing trees and it is still a ways away. Hard not to be obsessed. Now in Maryland. RV park full of Floridians we were the early escapees. Most of us hit little traffic but it was steady.
    House is three years old and up to the latest standards for hurricanes but stuff happens out of your control.

I think a lot more people left because of what happened in Texas. Maybe after this, people will have more sense about leaving. some people are saying that they have no money to leave.........but isn't there help to get people out of there, and take care of them a bit for awhile?

It's so weird to see all this horrible stuff happening.......while our lives go on as usual..

Not looking good for my area. We left and took very little with us, but we are out. I'm still disappointed several of my friends refused to leave. I can't believe how worried people are about their stuff. My wife is upset worrying about a cookbook of her moms and a quilt.

Im thinking I still have memories, and I can buy more stuff.

Im worried about the storm surge, we don't need that on top of the wind.

Still hoping the best for your place, dmc. I can't imagine losing so many physical things to memories........like a cook book and a quilt. Your wife is probably also putting all her fears of everything into those particular things.
    Keep us posted dmc, and we all hope the best for you.

Interesting take on Florida, and why people should/shouldn't live there:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...florida-215586

Thread Information