Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal food waste solutions

I think the bottom freezer design can make or break one's enjoyment of it. I originally ordered a bottom freezer model of a Kenmore fridge but then had another look at the basket and the mesh openings were so large that stuff would fall through so bought a top freezer model. I did research on the baskets in general and, if I remember correctly, the design had something to do with needing the wide mesh basket to ensure good airflow. I did see another manufacturer's model where the design of the mesh is the freezer basket was much smaller or finer. Not sure how the airflow was ensured with it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have a Kenmore fridge with a bottom freezer. I like it a lot, definitely much prefer the bottom freezer. As for things falling through I'm not sure what people are storing that is falling through, most of what I have is in packages (like ground beef) or in freezer bags - if I don't use say some chicken I'll put it in a freezer bag and store it. I don't freeze leftovers by and large because I know I won't eat them realistically, I do usually eat them in the next few days from the fridge, but in the freezer they will be forgotten. So the freezer is mostly meats, nuts (do some stocking up at TJs), things like lentils and rice that I probably should store elsewhere as there is too much in the freezer, but I also lack enough cabinet space to put them there! (but really that would make more sense than buying an additional stand alone freezer for things that don't really need to be frozen IMO - just on energy costs alone I think). I could pretend I loved frozen veggies or something, but who am I kidding, I'm spoiled by fresh veggies, I don't buy frozen veggies. The freezing lemons and limes might work though.
    Trees don't grow on money

Apathetic NM, that is an interesting thought, that I dont really NEED fruit. I will have to ponder it.

Fruit has always been a bit of a chore for me to eat, but not so vegetables.

Things aren’t falling through on my bottom freezer either.

I like the idea of French door refrigerators; is there a downside to those? I've had experience with top and bottom freezers and neither is particularly satisfactory. My current freezer is basically a black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    I like the idea of French door refrigerators; is there a downside to those? I've had experience with top and bottom freezers and neither is particularly satisfactory. My current freezer is basically a black hole.
    When we talk about side by side u its, that is what we mean.

Lack of wide shelf space is one downside.

If you truly need a lot of freezer space that might be a good solution for you though.

We have big freezers in our basement so a ton of freezer space is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

If you truly need a lot of freezer space that might be a good solution for you though.

We have big freezers in our basement so a ton of freezer space is not necessary.
    I probably wouldn't need much space if I could see what I already have. The idea that it wouldn't provide just one inscrutable hole would be the selling point.

I had a side by side, French door refrigerator and hated it from day 1. Either side is not big enough. The freezer would not even hold a frozen pizza flat. I had food piled on top of each other in the fridge. I was SO HAPPY when it died. I now have a freezer on the bottom refrigerator. I like it a lot better. I go into the refrigerator more than the freezer so don't have to bend down to see what is in the fridge. The downside (small IMO) is that occasionally food (especially ice cubes) falls through the slits onto the floor. I do have another upright freezer where most frozen food is kept so this is not the main freezer..... When this one dies, I will get another.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Our kids have a Samsung french-door refrigerator, a spendy one with two refrigerator doors (and doors within those doors) and a refrigerated drawer beneath the refrigerator compartment and the bottom freezer. Both refrigerator doors open to a standard-width refrigerator (this one). Based on their experience with theirs and what I've read and heard about from others, no way would I spend my money on a Samsung fridge. But if Samsung can do it, others can do it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

As I've previously stated - I greatly dislike food waste. To that end, a good portion of my weekend was spent gleaning some of the grape and cherry tomatoes from the plants - both green and red. I actually did my first canning in years and made a small batch of green tomato relish. Not much, just enough to share with the neighbors next door. Also made refrigerator green tomato pickles, ketchup and salsa. The abundance of red tomatoes will go on the dehydrator. It was fun and I'm ready for the next round - lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information