Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Most people do seem to have a smart phone here (take public transit it's what everyone is doing on it, staring at their phones). But those who don't have a smart phone often have some kind of internet connected device (a pc, a laptop etc.) with internet connectivity at home which amounts to the same thing for most practical purposes (say you need the internet to look for a job which many do - either will suffice). Yes there are those without any internet connectivity that those who study social problems like to talk about a lot, and I don't doubt they exist, but also smart phones are as common as dirt, and not much of a wealth marker.
    Trees don't grow on money

Bae, is right that many people can't afford 30/month. We had to supply income proof to get the phone and I think that more important then the phone being free is that there was no monthly charge. It was about 6 years ago so not sure if this is correct or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Bae, is right that many people can't afford 30/month.
    My community just engaged in a large fund-raising effort to fund the increase in size of our library. Much of the new space will be used for facilities to allow those in our community who have no access to the Internet/cell phones/computing to be able to engage The Bold New Digital World. Believe it or not, there are people walking around here, who have jobs, who somehow have found housing with the low wages and high housing prices, who do *not* have cell phones, Internet, or nice Macbook laptops.

My brother-in-law had two of those phones, he sold them both and then was refused a third. Boy was he pissed at having to buy minutes from Trac-Fone.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

BIL sounds like a low life-Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    BIL sounds like a low life-Ugh!
    Yes, in many ways, but mostly just an opportunist. He'll vote for anyone who gives him what he wants.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't think my phone has video. I can take pictures though. I just wanted the cheapest thing that I could make a phone call with.

I can legally carry something more persuasive if I felt threatened though. And I could access it much faster than looking for the proper buttons on a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I can legally carry something more persuasive if I felt threatened though. And I could access it much faster than looking for the proper buttons on a phone.
    Access, while moving and using, in < 1 second. Not for the phone, for some older technology. Phone takes forever, by the time the screen unlock happens, all the notifications pop up to irritate me, and then flipping through to the right app, while wondering if I need to take my glasses off to see the little text/buttons. Other technology, just look for the red dot....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I don't know about other states, let me start off by saying that much. I do know that here in Arizona, when I was first on Medicaid, I was automatically eligible for a cheap flip phone with 250 minutes just for having a Medicaid card - same also held true at the time if I presented a food stamp card - bingo, free phone for a year with 250 minutes a month, which lasted for one full year before needing to renew by showing a Medicaid card or a food stamp card. Here in Arizona it's very easy to get a free phone provided you are receiving some sort of assistance.

Also about the $30 a month - I don't deny that this is hard to come up with for many people. I know people in the 85006 who donate plasma to afford their free smartphone with the $30 plan. Their general thought is that it's worth it to donate plasma to protect themselves from American police via smartphone video. Rob

The petty scams of the poor pale in comparison to the massive wealth transfers of the rich.

Thread Information