Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New travel ban

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I ran across this article a couple of days ago. If we go down the road with Bannon and Trump to an Aryan paradise, this is what we'll be missing out on: https://tinyurl.com/h8pqgh2
    And make no mistake, their Mexican and Muslim ban is just a taste of things to come. The dumbing down continues.
    I think it's been about 8 years since our discussions have broached Godwin's Law. I wonder what that signifies?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Referencing the white nationalist tendencies of Steve Bannon is now the equivalent of calling him hitler?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it's been about 8 years since our discussions have broached Godwin's Law. I wonder what that signifies?
    It signifies a sort of intellectual low tide. All kinds of smelly, unpleasant things are being exposed.

Two victim-based mindsets are clashing, summoning up ideological monsters from the vasty deep. Which is worse? The travel ban guys, keeping us safe from Somali cancer patients? Or the Berkeley Berserkers and Middlebury Marcusians roughing people up in the service of tolerance and understanding?

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and his justice cannot sleep forever."

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Referencing the white nationalist tendencies of Steve Bannon is now the equivalent of calling him hitler?
    Is 'white nationalist' different from 'Aryan paradise'?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Godwin's law is expanding to include references to Aryans, apparently. It signifies that we are treading waters that have been trod before. We ignore that at our peril.

Is 'white nationalist' different from 'Aryan paradise'?
    Clearly, you misconstrued a reference to the people who drove the Dravidians out of northern India.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It signifies a sort of intellectual low tide. All kinds of smelly, unpleasant things are being exposed.

Two victim-based mindsets are clashing, summoning up ideological monsters from the vasty deep. Which is worse? The travel ban guys, keeping us safe from Somali cancer patients? Or the Berkeley Berserkers and Middlebury Marcusians roughing people up in the service of tolerance and understanding?

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and his justice cannot sleep forever."
    There is such a thing as a legitimate victim, you know. Like the millions who will be without health insurance under this administration. I don't identify as a victim, and I doubt the rest of the millions who are working to resist this scourge do, either. So many fronts, so little time.

There is such a thing as a legitimate victim, you know. Like the millions who will be without health insurance under this administration. I don't identify as a victim, and I doubt the rest of the millions who are working to resist this scourge do, either. So many fronts, so little time.
    There are many legitimate reasons to oppose Trump. There are also many legitimate reasons to oppose some of his opposition. There is little legitimate reason for calling people Nazis because you don't like them. It cheapens the real historical experience.

Ironically, the first Aryans were Iranian. Our White Nationalists use different descriptors now, perhaps thinking that muddies the waters.

I'm not inclined to tiptoe around an issue. Trump and his henchmen are not Nazis, but they are clearly cut from the same ideological cloth.

Ironically, the first Aryans were Iranian. Our White Nationalists use different descriptors now, perhaps thinking that muddies the waters.
    My understanding was that pretty much nobody uses the word "Aryan" these days, unless they are being sly/dog-whistling. Or are actual Nazis.

Thread Information