Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Cell Phone Purchase

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Advice on Cell Phone Purchase

Spouse & I have been sharing a cell phone (an Android), but it's time for me to get one of my own due to some off-site gigs I have upcoming.

Soooo...seeking your advice on a simple, uncomplicated, inexpensive (relatively) cell phone to be used for mainly calls/texting/directions.

Something like a Jitterbug--but not a Jitterbug for my aging eyes,chubby fingers and Luddite ways.

Or MUST it be s Jitterbug??

Help!!!

And thanks!!!
    peaceful, easy feeling

Do you want a smart phone? You have exactly two choices Android or iPhone.

For directions, you could just buy a Garnjn GPS for your car. However, if you want easier texting than on a non-smart phone, you need to get a smart phone. The phones with physical chicklet keyboards that slide out don’t exist anymore, I believe.

I hav an LG android from tracphone. It works well for texting, phone calls. I don't know about directions. I paid not a lot for it- I get a one year contract- around $120 for the entire year. Of course if you use lots of data you will need to up the minutes. I've been happy with it..Luddite myself when it comes to phones.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I hav an LG android from tracphone. It works well for texting, phone calls. I don't know about directions. I paid not a lot for it- I get a one year contract- around $120 for the entire year. Of course if you use lots of data you will need to up the minutes. I've been happy with it..Luddite myself when it comes to phones.
    That sounds good!

Do I need a Smart phone for simple texting and calls? Spouse has an Android and it's got more features that I need. We used to have an iPhone, which I adored, but we lost it in Italy and it was unlocked so arrivederci, iPhone... I found it easier to use than the current Android...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    That sounds good!

Do I need a Smart phone for simple texting and calls? Spouse has an Android and it's got more features that I need. We used to have an iPhone, which I adored, but we lost it in Italy and it was unlocked so arrivederci, iPhone... I found it easier to use than the current Android...
    The flip phones that aren’t smart phones are NOT easy to text on. You have to click through on each key to get the letters you want.

If you prefer an iPhone, get an iPhone. You can find older models for cheap. I wouldn’t go older than an 8, though. The current one is 13, I think. My 8 is maybe 4 years old and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    The flip phones that aren’t smart phones are NOT easy to text on. You have to click through on each key to get the letters you want.
    yea but you get used to it (i suppose might be a problem with arthritis)
    Trees don't grow on money

The newest iPhones are 12’s. There’s 3 versions. I find them easier than android to use. I keep them until they stop accepting updates adequately.

I use a Tracfone. They sell slightly outdated new iPhones and Samsung Galaxies for relatively cheap compared to new models. Phone calls and texting are inexpensive with the pre-paid cards, as noted. I've just started experimenting with directions, which count as internet time that you buy as a separate category. My initial take is that they may not be efficient for heavy internet/direction finding type use, but fine for occasional uses. I'm still figuring that aspect out, though.

I have found using speech-to-text works better for me when "typing" on phones than using my giant clumsy fingers on their keyboards. This of course would require a smartphone of some type.

Thread Information