Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: White House Barring Mainstream News from briefings

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Ishbel, have you seen this delicious send-up of Sean Spicer? A real tour de force.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWuc18xISwI
    Thanks for the link. I don't recognise the actor, but she's GOOD!
    Last edited by IshbelRobertson; 2-26-17 at 5:35pm. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Thanks for the link. I don't recognise the actor, but she's GOOD!
    Her own mother probably wouldn't recognize her. She's Melissa McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    The chart clearly has the NY Times and the BBC smack-dab in the middle of the most reliable, non-partisan news sources. The journalists in these organizations do not "make stuff up." Yet they were 2 of the groups denied access to press briefings. I agree with the poster who said other responsible, respected media shouldn't boycott the press briefings because then the current administration has even more control of whatever press continues to show up, since these will be the groups with the least journalistic integrity who will only ask soft questions, print whatever they are told to print, and not call the administration on their "alternative facts." Instead, I hope the journalists will always be sure there is at least one among them to say, "why does the administration want to censor ______, who they have not allowed into the press briefing today?" And then they should report on it, because that is news! (bad news for the U.S., anyway)
    The administration may find that it cuts both ways - White House press briefings are not releasing new information as much as they are spinning what's already out there. And these these excluded news organizations may start putting out stories without the White House spin even mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    The administration may find that it cuts both ways - White House press briefings are not releasing new information as much as they are spinning what's already out there.
    Ya. I'm not thinking the free press is hampered much by not hearing the latest silliness of the day coming out of those "briefings" and getting sucked into the instant-response Tweet-cycle. Be a better use of time to do real reporting....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Ya. I'm not thinking the free press is hampered much by not hearing the latest silliness of the day coming out of those "briefings" and getting sucked into the instant-response Tweet-cycle. Be a better use of time to do real reporting....
    I am ready to ignore the government and get on with life, except where they interfere. Unfortunately there are a lot of things they are doing I can't probably ignore for long. But at least I can pay attention to actual news.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

IL, in your opinion, what national news print web site or publication does the best unbiased reporting of politics? I've looked through USA today and they really don't seem to have much investigative journalism and do not focus much on political details. I can't read the WSJ without paying a large amount to subscribe. No intention of offering an alternate opinion, I'm just curious.
    I dont know. They all have biases, and it is good that understand the bias of the one you are consuming.

i dont watch Video news and I read precious little newspaper news. Mostly, I listen to radio which is full of headline news and talk show discussion. If something ng interest me I look it up.

Today I heard a panel discussion about transgender bathroom use by students on NPR, you know, the source that is without bias. Hahahah, it was typical NPR programming, biased as hell. there was a group of people on the show, and only one representing the conservative point of view.

He was an attorney arguing the Illinois case which, if I can present it accurately, is using an existing Supreme
    Court case that riled there is NO promise of complete privacy for students, that right must be balanced by the school administration for the education and good of all.

I guess the attorney's argument is that trans persons may not expect to use whichever bathroom they choose if it is disruptive to other students.

Not sure thats a good argument and it already lost at the District level, but we shall see.

Back back to NPR, the host bullied the lawyer when the lawyer did not call the subject of the case "she" as the transperson prefers (this persn was not on the panel.) There were other attitude problems with Mr. host.

Thanks IL, I was out doing errands today and heard the same program in the car. I actually cringed a little it was so slanted. I think NPR does a pretty decent job most of the time, but I have a liberal slant in my blood. I have my liberal favorites but none are perfect and as long as it's quality reporting I like to try to understand the other side. Which is a reason I asked. There are some news sources like CNN and Fox that I don't think are quality sources.

When all the Trumple started I tried to sample what I could online to see how they compared and get the straight scoop. The Boston Globe, the NYT, L.A. Times, the Chicago Herald, the Washington Post, and whatever. The all seem to be a little different slant on the same stories. Some get a little more carried away. They are all a little left of center and maybe have a spinkling of fake or at least sensationalist news by my account, but none seem radically so. I actually have a little agreement with what some label the "Coastal Elite". Growing up in a blue collar town and having lived all my life in the west, there are some liberal views that just don't jive with me.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I am extremely glad I don't use Twitter, Facebook or similar.
    I don't either. I don't read the tweets. They are all over the news!

Thread Information