Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A cruise?

I married my father. DH married his mother. We are A-ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    My husband wants us to do one of the Windjammer cruises http://www.sailmainecoast.com/get-to...lywaAl0N8P8HAQ . I'm not so sure. Tiny quarters with only cold water in most of them and sailing stresses me out. A boyfriend took me once in a small sailboat and we had a hard time getting out to open water and actually hit another boat! I think I could pick and choose and enjoy a large cruise but I'd probably have to go alone or with a few girlfriends, DH has no interest at all. But my idea of getting away is renting a cabin or casita alone and creating my own agenda. Cruise ships keep a tight schedule and I think the unloading/loading and time requirements at each port would bug me. I think it's hard to really "experience" the port/island/culture because those communities tend to come alive when the ship nears....they want your money.
    dont do it.

we have sets of friends who did that "small sail boat where you are the captain" trip once and are now not speaking to each other, that was a decade ago.

My sister and her wife did a cruise up to alaska and loved it. It's such a big state this seems like a good way to see some of the cool bits like the kenai fjords national park.

We have friends that love to do gay cruises. (not that i expect this to be UA's style...) It sounds dreadful to me. Like one long circuit party. These friends spend months planning the outfits they'll wear to the various nightly parties. (and since these friends are both former navy (that's how they met all those years ago) and that's inevitably one of the party themes they are excited to bring their old uniforms.) Another couple of friends are going with them on a cruise this summer. We were at a housewarming party recently along with both couples and when one of the cruising couple started a discussion with one of the non cruisers about planning outfits for the parties the non-cruiser friend had pretty much the same (dreading it) reaction I would've if I were the one going on this cruise with them. It'll be interesting to hear how the non-cruisers liked it...

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    My sister and her wife did a cruise up to alaska and loved it. It's such a big state this seems like a good way to see some of the cool bits like the kenai fjords national park.

We have friends that love to do gay cruises. (not that i expect this to be UA's style...) It sounds dreadful to me. Like one long circuit party. These friends spend months planning the outfits they'll wear to the various nightly parties. (and since these friends are both former navy (that's how they met all those years ago) and that's inevitably one of the party themes they are excited to bring their old uniforms.) Another couple of friends are going with them on a cruise this summer. We were at a housewarming party recently along with both couples and when one of the cruising couple started a discussion with one of the non cruisers about planning outfits for the parties the non-cruiser friend had pretty much the same (dreading it) reaction I would've if I were the one going on this cruise with them. It'll be interesting to hear how the non-cruisers liked it...
    When you were in your 20s did cruising mean something else?

My dad wanted to go to camp as an adult, It was a beer making camp. I am not sure what happened but he didn't end up going to summer camp after all. I wonder if there are cruises for people who love to read since that is a big positive interest for you.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    dont do it.

we have sets of friends who did that "small sail boat where you are the captain" trip once and are now not speaking to each other, that was a decade ago.
    Yes, I finally had the serious talk with DH and said "sorry...you can go on a windjammer alone and I'll go on a bigger cruise". We settled that a smaller cruise boat would ok that take river passages but not the giant ones.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

And if you want a kind of cruise on land experience, check out the John C. Campbell Folk Art School in NC. You park your car and dont have to get in it again for a week. Meals are provided where everyone gets together family style, several types of housing, and wonderful classes to fill the day. We are going back for a week of Shaker Cooking in November. www.folkschool.com I think we have gone about 5 times.

roadscholar.org has some wonderful classes around the country and world. A great one we took was a week of BBQ cooking taught by a BBQ competitor and judge in SC. Again, park the car and all is provided plus education and meeting some great people from all over.

I've done the Vancouver to Alaska twice and loved it - I'd go again if I had the opportunity. Most cruises are very flexible, food-wise. If you don't want to eat in the formal dining room, there are generally several casual dining areas. Neither of the trips we did - both with major lines- had assigned tables or dining times unless you preferred that option, which was available in a smaller formal dining room. No enforced togetherness - the guests quickly sorted out both chat areas and what I called "leave me the eff alone" areas. It was a great way to see beautiful country and wildlife (Whales! Moose! Seals! Bear!) and some really nice port cities that really aren't very accessible by car. And not having to drive, or plan meals, or do anything other than be at our assigned spot for tour pickup, was soooo nice! Once we did the train trip up to Denali after the cruise, and that was lovely too.

my advice is to do a 3-5 day cruise. I did a 7 day with stops in Jamaica, Cozumel, etc. and got a little bored. The Alaska cruise is so interesting and I would love to do it.

We never go for less then a week because there is so much to do on a cruise. The longest we took was 2 weeks and that was awesome. If you get bored on a big ship you are not looking at your daily cruise letter that has so many things to do that it is not possible to do them all. We have been taking 2 cruises/year the past few years.

Thread Information