Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Steering" at the polling booth

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That reminds me of my very favorite PJ O'Rourke quote "There is only one basic human right,the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences."

I'm guessing that the amendment in question fits into that somewhere.
    It does. Actually this amendment was a response from the puppy mill folks who took exception to the voters saying last time that maybe they should follow some regulations. I'm guessing this is why IL is a bit upset, as well she should be. So these folks want it in the constitution that they have a RIGHT to 'farm', i.e. puppy mills, to make it harder for the people of Missouri to regulate their 'farming' practices. Unfortunately this opens the door for all sorts of 'farming' such as huge hog farms and such, who will now have it in the constitution that they have this 'right' to do whatever they need to do to 'farm' with little regard to the folks who might be downhill from them. Or rather their water wells or ponds or wetlands, whatever, downhill from them. The folks who don't have it in the constitution a 'right' to clean water or air or whatever.
    It just saddens me to see so many who only see this very misleading title 'The Right to Farm' without actually thinking about it. They don't think that maybe the ONLY people who are having their 'farming' limited are those who we WANT to limit, or at least regulate. We being the majority of the citizen of that state or county.
    Everyone likes bacon. But it comes with a cost, and we the citizens need to understand that cost and say, definitely, at what cost.

The same goes for puppies. I know IL is very concerned about puppy mills as she works closely with rescues. I'm guessing she is just frustrated with this 'work around' that the puppy mills have tricked the Missouri voters with. Calling it 'Right to Farm' sucked in those who only look at the title and don't bother to actually think about it.

I'm sorry IL. I know this was important to you. We can still fix this. It won't be easy but we can.

The issues are entirely unrelated. But at least I knew what IL was talking about as it was explained in the post. The "right to farm" thing I had to search. Then I wasn't sure what state it was about, as apparently almost every state has a so called "right to farm" law according to one website, maybe none of them are any good, but I'm betting they probably vary a lot depending on the state even if they are all named that.

I could just as well say puppy mills are a pretty unimportant concern when people are dying in wars in the middle east and with a great deal of justification for saying so as those are human beings (and in fact that actually is my prioritization). But the issues are pretty much 100% unrelated. Just like puppy mills and poorly trained poll workers.

[wars plural - well the u.s. is bombing iraq again now - so war with iraq #3 has started]
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 8-7-14 at 11:23pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    It does. Actually this amendment was a response from the puppy mill folks who took exception to the voters saying last time that maybe they should follow some regulations.
    Funny, after researching for a bit I came away with the impression that while previous legislation regarding puppy mills was a factor in the amendment, the "puppy mill folks" didn't have anything to do with it. After reading accounts from the New York Times, NPR and Mid Missouri Public Radio it seems to me that farmers and ranchers were concerned about the possibility of language in the puppy mill legislation limiting breeders to 50 animals being applied to farmers/ranchers, limiting their livestock such as cows, pigs, sheep, horses, etc., as well, although no reference to that seems to be in the actual wording of the amendment:

Section 35. That agriculture which provides food, energy, health benefits, and security is the foundation and stabilizing force of Missouri's economy. To protect this vital sector of Missouri's economy, the right of farmers and ranchers to engage in farming and ranching practices shall be forever guaranteed in this state, subject to duly authorized powers, if any, conferred by article VI of the Constitution of Missouri.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Funny, after researching for a bit I came away with the impression that while previous legislation regarding puppy mills was a factor in the amendment, the "puppy mill folks" didn't have anything to do with it. After reading accounts from the New York Times, NPR and Mid Missouri Public Radio it seems to me that farmers and ranchers were concerned about the possibility of language in the puppy mill legislation limiting breeders to 50 animals being applied to farmers/ranchers, limiting their livestock such as cows, pigs, sheep, horses, etc., as well, although no reference to that seems to be in the actual wording of the amendment:
    Well, that's what they said, but if you dig a bit further you would have seen that actual, real small/family farmers were against this. If you noticed who was behind this amendment, Monsanto..Republicans, you get an idea of the real intent. With all due respect, neither have a track record of looking out/caring for the average/little guy.
    This is what it's really protecting. Huge hog productions in my/your neighborhood with little protections for the neighbors.

http://www.wthr.com/story/26102935/2...otected-by-law

Unfortunately I don't have a constitutional 'right' to a 10 mile buffer zone from them. And of course allowing this 'right' to be in the constitution will open the door to all sorts of "farming' that might not be beneficial to neighbors and children and other living things.

But then again, follow the money. It's big ag getting politicians to put in the peoples constitution their wishes, trampling all over real family farmers who generally are good neighbors.
    And of course the ones who voted for it will be like..."Hey, wait. I didn't mean MY neighborhood!"

Well Peg, look on the bright side. If you want to farm your land, barring zoning restrictions or other limitations, no special interest groups will be able to stop you. Not even those nasty Republicans.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Huh? Sorry, but I'm just not seeing it.
    You don't have to see it, of course, but if someone who likes the Libertarian message or the Green Party message might like one of those ballots but doesn't know enough to ask for it, they won't get it. Because they have been "steered" to the mainstream choices. "Only two choices" is the subtext of the little ladies' message.

And for other posters, the little ladies were trained, they chose not to internalize their training and carry out their duties as assigned. Our polls are run by average citizens and this is the sort of thing that is typical. Humans are not perfect and I'll bet there are multiple ethical and perhaps legal violations in each polling place across America. I won't march on Washington about it, but I do think it can be improved.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-8-14 at 4:27pm.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    The same goes for puppies. I know IL is very concerned about puppy mills as she works closely with rescues. I'm guessing she is just frustrated with this 'work around' that the puppy mills have tricked the Missouri voters with. Calling it 'Right to Farm' sucked in those who only look at the title and don't bother to actually think about it.

I'm sorry IL. I know this was important to you. We can still fix this. It won't be easy but we can.
    peggy that is a whole lotta projection onto me, iris lily. This post was about the tricks of a particular party, not about amendments.

I actually voted against all of the amendments because I think that's a stupid way to legislate.

My state, Washington, is a "right to farm" state, and that has been essential in keeping suburban/urban refugees into our rural lands from shutting down agriculture and forestry operations with nuisance lawsuits and hairshirt environmentalism. Most of our counties have adopted similar legistlation to further protect food and timber production.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=7.48.305

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And for other posters, the little ladies were trained, they chose not to internalize their training and carry out their duties as assigned.
    I wonder what type of training they get? During the 2012 Presidential election, one of our local "little lady" polling volunteers managed to vote seven times. Once in her name and 6 times as other people. Of course, she said that the person she voted all those times for really deserved to be President so there was no problem with it, right??

Seems she was convicted of voter fraud anyway, but earlier this year she was honored by the Reverend Al Sharpton and a host of local Democratic Party officials. http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...-hero/6712981/

Really...you can't make this stuff up!

Well Peg, look on the bright side. If you want to farm your land, barring zoning restrictions or other limitations, no special interest groups will be able to stop you. Not even those nasty Republicans.
    well pretty much ALL urban farming will fall under zoning ristrictions. So that's what you call a loop hole big enough for a 747. And so long as your field doesn't accidentally get contaminated by monstanto seeds ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information