Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh

I am in Pittsburgh for the next few days for a conference. Any suggestions for things to do in the evenings? I am on foot in downtown.

The incline up to Mt. Washington.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I've heard many good things regarding Pittsburgh.....that it's Democrat, affordable housing to this day, an amazing good job market, and that people tend to be very real there - translation, I myself could fit in with such people. So I've heard, anyway. I do know property tax there will eat you alive though and definitely needs to be budgeted for and I do know that there have been cutbacks in service to both bus and light rail.

I was thinking of moving there at one point in my life and what stopped me was the fact that it's very far from Mexico and thus seems to be too risky for me in regards the ability to access affordable medical and dental by simply crossing a border. But to visit - make the most of it. I seem to remember there are a few great museums there and some very nice restored neighborhoods such as Shadyside. I second the incline - I think this is where you can get great aerial photos of downtown from? Enjoy! Rob

Yppej
    Rob I thought you would recommend protest events against the killing of Antwon Rose.

I live here and work downtown. What kind of things are you interested in? Are you at the convention center? If you want some music or other culture, check the schedules for Heinz Hall, Byham Theater, The Benedum or the O'Reilly Theater. The Pirates are out of town this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Rob I thought you would recommend protest events against the killing of Antwon Rose.
    Who?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I did call and thank the Allegheny County's District Attorneys Office for filing charges against the officer involved. I don't however know how protests of this incident went down in Pittsburgh. This murder was most upsetting though and yes indeed along the lines of what I personally consider protest worthy. Rob

Well, I am not going to have that much free time. And it sounds like there is some due process going on.
    So the Antwon protest is a no-go for me. I am also not interested in protesting about that specific social issue or this specific case at this juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by sbagirl View Post
    The Pirates are out of town this week.
    I know! Such a bummer!

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I know! Such a bummer!
    Its really too bad. It is the best venue MLB has to offer. My son worked there until he moved to Houston. I got in free and all the food I could eat. Now I have to go to MinuteMaid Park and that’s a real bummer.

Im sorry I couldn’t make time to meet you. I think I would have enjoyed it. I proposed to my wife almost 35 years ago at the top of the incline overlooking the city.

Thread Information