Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

We have been having it delivered. Cost a little more I suppose, but sure is convenient.

Haven't been able to schedule a pickup time at my grocery store in quite a while. So I headed out this morning to the Dollar Store with a list of minimal needs/basics/and a few "wants". Got everything on the list except eggs!!! They even had tp on the back shelf - but I didn't take any... we're okay for now. Still trying to get a pickup slot with my grocery store, but this trip allowed me to take off a couple of items from my existing list and save some $$. For non-perishable items and definitely for unnecessary snack foods, the Dollar store has definitely come through. Oh, even got some elastic to continue making a couple more masks! And sympathy cards, as the virus is hitting closer to home and now taking people who are more than just "strangers to us".

Stay safe, everyone.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Planning ahead, I went to the Target Web site to create a Shipt order of staple products, expecting to select a time slot a week or two out. Nope, I could have had stuff delivered today if I wanted (!). As far as I can tell, there is no way to choose a time slot that far out. I also could not see how to "save" the cart for that long. Maybe it does, but it wasn't clear to me.

Still not a peep from Instacart about my experience. Honestly, I'll be very surprised if I ever hear from them again.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Went to Sprouts this am. Almost all had on masks. Way too many people bumping into each other. No eggs of any kind. For the first time in my life, I am not giving much consideration to the price of something I want/need. Grab and go. I felt irritated by customers that blocked aisles looking at the same thing for five minutes, picking up, putting back... as if it's too hard to make a decision. All of this is getting to me!!

Went to store for first time in 2 weeks, one out, one in, but no line when I parked but one started to form after. This place hasn't had TP or paper towels since this covid thing started but has good food, so I knew that going in, but hey I checked (hope springs eternal). Been able to find TP here and there at other stores sometimes, so surviving even though it's hard to find, one day of TP at a time at this point.

Other than that good selection. Some shelves like tinned fish much was missing but even then not bare. But found canned beans (score, as that's become hard to find, plan to use it for chili sometime, I suppose I could do a pure con carne if beans disappear again). Mostly I buy fresh foods and so it was fine, yogurt, eggs, all were there, produce, nuts, etc.. Baking supplies I have no idea, who does that much baking anyway? I mean I have a bit of a sweet tooth, but I have some chocolate bars Stores have been really raising their prices to take advantage of this covid thing though, even foods that are reported to be in surplus now, ouch. And no I don't look at prices now either. I'm in survival mode, where all that matters is need food to live ... need to live through this. Can go two weeks on what I got but if others want me to shop for them I will venture out in a week or so (that hasn't been that successful either, high risk people insist on venturing out themselves, what can you do).
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I also have found lots of price increases. I wonder if it's due to the $2 per hour increase most grocery stores are giving in hazard pay.

My mom is one of those high risk people who insists on venturing out and will not let me do her shopping for her.

Prices are going to increase. This should be expected.

The whole supply chain is in turmoil trying to keep going. From the farmers to the ultimate store shelves, every part is having to consider changes due to the situation we face. We will still have food but it is possible that our selections and for sure our prices will be different.

Yes, their expenses have to be a lot higher, with all the new things they have to do. Our local grocery is hiring, and facing a situation where all of their routines are changing daily.

I'm just grateful they are open and they have food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yes, their expenses have to be a lot higher, with all the new things they have to do. Our local grocery is hiring, and facing a situation where all of their routines are changing daily.

I'm just grateful they are open and they have food.
    Ditto!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The only thing I haven't been able to get is ramen. Not cheap ramen, but the good, thick, Japanese stuff. For some reason, there's none of that to be had.

Thread Information