Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Tossing crap

You shouldn't have any trouble selling the Vitamix on Craigslist or something, Zoe Girl. Those things are very popular. I'd love to have one, but the cost is prohibitive.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    No finger bowls here!

But I waver on my wedding china: do I sell to Replacements.com or keep until we've had 3 Thanksgivings in a row at one of my kids' houses? I literally use this china once a year. And I'm not even crazy about it. It's a floral pattern (Lenox's Morning Blossom), and as my DH has told me, chefs will never plate their food on floral china because it takes away from the presentation. I don't have a hutch, so it's not even serving a decorative purpose.

Then there's my MILs china, which BIL has been boxing up in anticipation of the Big Move. I like my grandmother-in-law's china better than mine, so maybe I sell mine to Replacements and keep Grandma's for 3 years.

My MIL bought us Waterford Lismore crystal for our wedding and I used it literally ONCE, and then was so afraid it was going to be smashed when DHs rowdy friends came over I boxed it up, never to see it again for almost 40 years.

I did buy a couple of odd sized plates at yard sales over the years--a great Dansk salad plate set for instance, and I really love it. But I'm done with fancy china.
    I thought about selling my wedding china to Replacements a couple of years ago - they weren't interested in my pattern. If I had better storage, I would keep it more available and just use it. Sounds like in your case, you should sell yours and use your MILs. If you like your crystal, get it out and use it! If it breaks, it breaks. What's the difference between a broken glass and one that is boxed up not being used?
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Warm memories?
    Perhaps!

I am using my mother's crystal, not because I like it, but because I decided a few years ago to "use it up" rather than sell to the local China Finders guys because they would not give me a whole lot for it. And that is fine! So I eat it aside to use as causal glassware and when it breaks or is etched by the dishwasher, so be it.

Recently it has become my go to wine glass because it has etchings that mark, exactly, 4 ounces. I am working the Weight Watchers program and 4 ounces is the standard serving. In my big, bubble contemporary glassware that 4 ounces is dwarfed. Sadz.

As for dinnerware market: some years ago I took in dishes from the 1920s but they didn't want them , no market. But when I took in my 1985 dishes, they grabbed them all and even polished up a few that had scuff marks. The market is fickle.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Sounds like in your case, you should sell yours and use your MILs. If you like your crystal, get it out and use it! If it breaks, it breaks. What's the difference between a broken glass and one that is boxed up not being used?
    True, but Lismore Waterford just really does not go with my country style. I know people are blending crystal chandeliers with shabby chic, but I'm not sure that the crystal would fit. I'll think about it, though, because you're right. It's kind of dumb to keep them in a box.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I had Lismore Waterford and sold it during my divorce to raise money for grocery money. I think it's a really pretty pattern that goes with anything! Why not take it out and use it? It's a classic!

At 90, my mom has decided to use her wedding china for every day. Why not?

I will add to this thread to say DH has not worn these suits for 29 years now. Still hanging in his closet.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-6-17 at 11:34pm.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I will add to this thread to say DH has not worn these suits for 29 short years now. Still hanging in his closet.
    made me smile. Honestly, they probably have cycled in and out of fashion several times.

We kept one suit just in case. He calls it his burying suit. Although I think a polo shirt and khakis are more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    We kept one suit just in case. He calls it his burying suit. Although I think a polo shirt and khakis are more appropriate.
    I say to DH, if you won't wear a suit to your mother's funeral, when WILL you wear it? (He didn't wear it )

I also remind him that at his second wedding it will not a good time to wear one of these outdated suits, I will guarantee that New Wife will make him wear something better.

There really is no place now to wear one
    . Haha.

Thread Information