Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Dress

I am and always have been an Eddie Bauer/L.L.Bean style person, classic style and colors. I have some clothes that are 40 years old, still in good shape and could have been bought new yesterday. Since I retired, I haven't bought any new clothing for years and I need so few things. I'm not concerned about what others think as long as my clothing is clean, fits and does not draw any negative attention. I do shop thrift stores mostly for fun but sometimes will find a classic piece of clothing to buy. As I grow older, I find so many things more important than clothing.

Clothing styles that I like to look at but would never wear are styles of the 40's. I especially like the men's fashions of the era, the suits and hats, and even children dressed up to go out.

i think in many years when i retire i may spend more time on fashion because it is fun for me and i don't have to worry as much about what type of job i do and how that affects what i wear. of course between up cycling the goodwill finds and sewing i can relax a little about finding the perfect thing. And sewing is not cheaper so that won't help but it will be fun.

I spend a bit of time on pinterest and blogs searching for "fashion over 40" and "fashion over 50". Its helped me define what I need to look for when I shop. I also study my own closet and if I don't feel wonderful in what I'm wearing, either the color or the fabric, or the fit; then I get rid of it and try to remember not to buy something similar in the future.

Pants are the hardest to find. I have to remind myself that I can get by with fewer pants if they are really comfortable and look right and are worth spending a little more on.
    http://www.fiftynotfrumpy.blogspot.com mentions loving the pants from https://slimsation.com/shop and I'm going to order some soon to give a try.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I really like these pants from Soft Surroundings and I would buy them even for the rather high price, if I needed pants, which I really don't :
    https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Palmilla_Pant/

I tell you what: if I ever became Supreme Commander Of this Country, I would issue a decree that all people will wear uniforms. I will empower a select committee to design the uniforms. People will then wear their uniform--or else. No exceptions.

I have a terrible time finding quality pants that fit well and don't drive me nuts (pulling, pinching, twisting). But the last 2 seasons I've gone to Old Navy and bought a couple pair of Pixie Pants when they're on sale. They come in lots of colors and some prints. They are ankle length, but fit me the way I like because I'm short. They have some stretch and are of pretty good quality (not see-through, do not pill, keep shape).

I wear lots of t-shirts and cardigans, or t-shirts and denim jacket combos.

Shoes I buy good ones, no pointy toes. I also like Skechers with the memory foam insoles and have 3 pr of them.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I need someone to dress me so badly. I just hate trying to figure this stuff out. I agree all T-shirts are super thin - I hate it. I think most shorts look bad on me. Don't like capris. I'm thinking of wearing more skirts, but what type, where do I find them? I might try to sew a couple. It's all too much. Luckily most of the time I don't need to look that put together and can get away with owing minimal clothing pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post

And why are all the sneakers only available in neon colors? Those are colors that shouldn't be worn by anyone over 12 years of age.
    sorry. Not going to stop wearing my bright pink sneakers. Why would it be childish to wear something that makes me truly happy to see. I live in the city, it's so gray, especially in the winter. Everyone wears nothing but black and other dark neutrals. So pink it is for me.

Also, I recommend lands end for the kind of knit pants you want. Also, don't laugh, but pajama jeans. Seriously. The look of jeans but not stiff or restrictive. Made of a very comfy knit denim look fabric. As comfy as your old sweats but way better looking. I like them better than the lands end starfish knit jeans. They look more like actual jeans and the fabric is thicker.

And whatever you do, don't copy the look of the young students with their shorts over tights and infinity scarfs. Unlike bright colors which belong to all, no matter the age, such stylings are the province of the young. Trying to emulate them will only make anyone over the age of 22 or so look matronly and dated.

For work most of the time I wear dresses from lands end, leggings and ankle boots and cardigans in the winter. Bare legs, sandals or sporty flats and bike shorts underneath for comfort in the summer. Easy, professional, not too stylish, but I look good enough without having to think too hard. and available in pretty, bright colors.

Land's End is high quality, simple styled clothing. Find a look or style you like and stick with it. I am done with fads.

I always purchase Land's End wish has what I that is called a starfish collection for larger women, all though it is not a big collection. Along with Land'S End I also purchase from LLBean and Eddie Bauer. I found that Eddie Bauer' s tops are very thin now as one poster mentioned since they have probably cut back on the quality of their material, I do need to wear a cameo with their tops. But it all last a a long time!!! Unfortunately if I could only get my sizes to last a Lon time !!!

Thread Information