Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Peterson was said to have done something heinous to one of the family dogs--resulting in death, I believe--mercifully, I don't remember the details. That would have been enough for me. The owl theory is ludicrous. The cheerful male prostitute who stood him up was the star of the trial, which I watched. Of course he did it.
    yes, to one of the family bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

The woman who died in first stairway, mother of the two adopted girls--was a family friend and not his wife. She left him money, too. She also had head wounds when they dug her up and did an autopsy, all those years later.

I thought a couple of things with the kids in the movie were very disquieting--when the one son said h e used to bang their heads together as punishment--that is so abnormal for a parent to do that; kids' heads are fragile, you spend your life protecting them from head injury. did you notice that?
    Wow--killer owls everywhere! At least one of the sons comes across as creepy as his father.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    yes, to one of the family bulldogs
    Bulldog. That is probably why I pushed that right out of my mind.

Alan - I loved the baroque cycle, and it took me a year to read them all. that’s very unusual for me - normally I’d read a trilogy like that in 2 months or less. I think it was such dense reading with so many interconnecting but very disparate threads - I could only read it a little at a time.

"A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles. What I'd call historical fiction depicting the time period 1922 to 1954 Moscow, Russia. From the book jacket: "..in 1922 the thirty-year-old Count Rostov is deemed an 'unrepentant aristocrat' by a Bolshevik tribunal and is sentenced to house arrest in the Metropol, a grand hotel across the street from the Kremlin."
    It's 462 pages but is a masterwork, really wonderful. The author is American but depicts real-life events and cultural human behaviors so well that it's effortless to read. If you want to dive into something for the summer, this is it.

I went to the library to get his first novel, "Rules of Civility" because I liked this one so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Alan - I loved the baroque cycle, and it took me a year to read them all. that’s very unusual for me - normally I’d read a trilogy like that in 2 months or less. I think it was such dense reading with so many interconnecting but very disparate threads - I could only read it a little at a time.
    I breezed through the first book and after starting the second, became busy with life. I'm retiring August 1st and just a few weeks ago began training my replacement, which turns out to be an all consuming task. I usually read before bed but lately I can only do a few pages before the words begin to get blurry. I'm hoping to push through and finish the second before retirement and then breeze through the third.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I picked up The Fire and the Fury at a local yard sale. It's actually quite good. Reading it feels like sitting with a ball of tangled yarn or fishing line and working through it to figure it out--the "it" being how and why he wound up where he is and how and why he has managed to keep it going despite unbelievable challenges, such as absolutely NO experience, NO sense of decorum or diplomacy, NO interest in anyone but himself, NO knowledge of policy or historical patterns that have shaped the country, NO knowledge of the Constitution. Fascinating analysis of all the players and how they fit into the puzzle that is Trump.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles. What I'd call historical fiction depicting the time period 1922 to 1954 Moscow, Russia. From the book jacket: "..in 1922 the thirty-year-old Count Rostov is deemed an 'unrepentant aristocrat' by a Bolshevik tribunal and is sentenced to house arrest in the Metropol, a grand hotel across the street from the Kremlin."
    It's 462 pages but is a masterwork, really wonderful. The author is American but depicts real-life events and cultural human behaviors so well that it's effortless to read. If you want to dive into something for the summer, this is it.

I went to the library to get his first novel, "Rules of Civility" because I liked this one so much.
    I read Rules of Civility first, then A Gentleman in Moscow. Enjoyed both of them very much! I hope Amor Towles keeps writing.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Has anyone read anything by Jonathan Franzen? There was a feature on him in the NYT Magazine yesterday and I wondered if any of his books are worth a read.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Has anyone read anything by Jonathan Franzen? There was a feature on him in the NYT Magazine yesterday and I wondered if any of his books are worth a read.
    Franzen is huge.
    wasnt it Fawn who knew him in real life and was a featured character in one of hos books?

Thread Information