Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Reports I hear are that it reduces the use or tendency for alcohol consumption. I was reading the other day that beer analysts have attributed declining sales of a few of the big brands to the legalization of pot. I'm sure there are people with issues that can abuse both equally well.

Humble opinion, but I think pot's use for any medicinal purposes is overstated. I know of people into their 90's who use it as a sleep aid and for some minor pain relief. And an appetite stimulant. Otherwise I think it is much like Granny's rheumatism medicine from the jug.
    You might be right. You might also be wrong, as there is not a lot of research on it.

I am just getting tired of white knuckling it.

I have done and/or continue to do: meditation, therapy, nature time, exercise, eating veggies (This is the worst, could it be making my depression worse!?), and so on.

But I started thinking: My life is halfway over. Why not try something that might make me happy on the weekends?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Reports I hear are that it reduces the use or tendency for alcohol consumption. I was reading the other day that beer analysts have attributed declining sales of a few of the big brands to the legalization of pot. I'm sure there are people with issues that can abuse both equally well.

Humble opinion, but I think pot's use for any medicinal purposes is overstated. I know of people into their 90's who use it as a sleep aid and for some minor pain relief. And an appetite stimulant. Otherwise I think it is much like Granny's rheumatism medicine from the jug.
    Tell that to children whose seizures have either stopped or almost stopped with applications of strains like Charlotte's Web. Sanjay Gupta did an excellent two-part series--probably still available on YouTube--expounding on its medical value.

There are many, many strains of cannabis, each with different attributes, which also depend on mode of ingestion. Because of our current laws, we haven't been able to study it--I hope that's changing. In my opinion, Cannabis holds much more promise than the average Pharma drug, to which Granny is probably addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Tell that to children whose seizures have either stopped or almost stopped with applications of strains like Charlotte's Web. Sanjay Gupta did an excellent two-part series--probably still available on YouTube--expounding on its medical value.

There are many, many strains of cannabis, each with different attributes, which also depend on mode of ingestion. Because of our current laws, we haven't been able to study it--I hope that's changing. In my opinion, Cannabis holds much more promise than the average Pharma drug, to which Granny is probably addicted.

I agree we should be studying it. But I also just think it should be legal for adults to use for recreation. I think in 5 years there will be a cascade of legalization across the US.

I am nervous about trying it. When I was 13 I smoked some Jamaican bunk reefer that found its way through my tiny town and it made me an incorrigible jerk. Who'd imagine that? Right? hahaha

But I was 13 and who knows what was in that crap.

I have watched videos of people using cannabis for the first time or first time decades. They do not seem to suffer reefer madness. They laugh, smile, joke around.

A close family member uses cannabis edibles for severe nerve pain. She says it helps a great deal, and that it just feels good to be high.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    You might be right. You might also be wrong, as there is not a lot of research on it.

I am just getting tired of white knuckling it.

I have done and/or continue to do: meditation, therapy, nature time, exercise, eating veggies (This is the worst, could it be making my depression worse!?), and so on.

But I started thinking: My life is halfway over. Why not try something that might make me happy on the weekends?
    You may be onto something--vegetarians/vegans tend to score higher on measures of depression. Whether this reflects the chicken or the egg remains to be seen. You might try a carnivore diet for a couple of weeks to see if it has any effect.

You might try a carnivore diet for a couple of weeks to see if it has any effect.
    I have tried high meat diets before. I did not like it. Made my belly hurt!

I am 40. I have been vegetarian a total of about 10 of those years.

I eat a dozen raw oysters each week to supplement my vegetarian diet.

You are right about Charlotte's Web. I stand corrected, but in my defense I did not say that the medical promises are bogus, just overstated. I'd still hold to the idea that a lot of people use cannabis for a whole rage of ailments, and that at least some of the positive results are due to the placebo effect or that the person is just high. I read one account of a person who was using it for some sort of arm pain and he reported that it really didn't seem to help the pain but he sort of forgot that he had an arm. Since the various government research places have had trouble even possessing pot to do research up until recently, therefore there is a lot yet to be learned or verified.

Matter of fact, I'd say if UL wants to try it to improve his mental attitude, it's probably a whole lot safer than anything a doctor might prescribe. I've come to think of pot as a whole lot better for a person and a society than alcohol, but it has an unjustifiable social stigma. When it comes to alcohol, I've seen the needle and the damage done. But they are both drugs and both have some associated health risks and they both can impair a clear thought process.

I had a few bucks cash lingering in E*Trade and so I just bought a few shares of two cannabis stocks, just for the fun of it. I have faith that it will be a growth industry--I just hope I picked the right players!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Back in the day it seemed like weed was weed. Now it is mind boggling how many strains there are and how terpene profiles are used to fine tune a strain to your needs. It isn't just a choice between sativa or indica anymore. I know for a fact that a lot of people who have been dependent on opioids and benzos are using cannabis to get off their meds to great success. UL you might want to go to Leafly and use their little quiz to find what strains would be beneficial to your particular needs. They also have a lot of great articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Back in the day it seemed like weed was weed. Now it is mind boggling how many strains there are and how terpene profiles are used to fine tune a strain to your needs. It isn't just a choice between sativa or indica anymore. I know for a fact that a lot of people who have been dependent on opioids and benzos are using cannabis to get off their meds to great success. UL you might want to go to Leafly and use their little quiz to find what strains would be beneficial to your particular needs. They also have a lot of great articles.
    Link to that quiz?

Go to Leafly, it is one of the search features.

Thread Information