Thread: What about "Dexter Donuts?"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    you don't have to be considered creepy or scary for something to be lethal to a career (ie lose a job), just not being likable is often sufficient.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    you don't have to be considered creepy or scary for something to be lethal to a career (ie lose a job), just not being likable is often sufficient.
    Come to think of it, a college kid I knew was fired from a construction crew because he liked to eat lunch by himself (and read), so maybe there's something to the idea.

Absolutely. And that fact was a huge factor in my quitting my job. When my boss made me fire a woman who was hired to be MY project manager. She had tried very hard to do all tasks asked of her and had improved greatly, but she was introverted and socially awkward. That was her only "sin" as far as I could see.

So I quit. I hated the fact that I had to fire her basically because she didn't kiss my boss's you-know-what. I quit 30 minutes before firing her.

As for the cubical swag, I have some of those quotes and stuff (see the pic), but since no one sees them except me in my home office, it's not for the benefit of constructing a false identify--at least I don't think so.

IMG_4172.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, very true. I generally tend to be liked by about 75% of my coworkers. It is a roll of the dice though on whether or not that 75% includes the important people.

I generally avoid and/or treat very politely the 25% that do not like me.

But I will say I know that some of my bosses dislike me. And the way the bosses play musical chairs at my work (6 different bosses in 3.5 years because of various demotions and promotions) it is hard to keep dime-dancing the steps they each want. haha

I have found that I can milk several things to get my colleagues to like me:
    -I cover for them and do some of their work voluntarily when they are out sick
    -I employ my slightly above average sense of humor by making them laugh
    -I say 2 supportive things in each meeting and otherwise stay quiet (I keep track of this on my notepad of paper)
    -I avoid talking about any of my more "interesting" interests
    -I bring my dog to work from time to time because he is a cutie and a real charmer.

Thread Information