Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm taking a carpentry course!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe once you finish the class you'll have the skills to help catherine cut her table in half!
    That is less skills, then tools. Most people are not going to buy/use a 10" circular saw (not table saw) and two simple passes. Carpentry is easy, compared to what qualifies as fine woodworking. In a lot of respects, IMHE, it is also more useful/functional, and fun.

We took our first class last night. Things were a little crazy and chaotic at the school as far as where to go, how to register, how to pay, etc. We spent most of the first class deciding on a project and discussing logistics such as procuring materials, where to store work in progress, etc. It turns out we will be building garden benches and not folding BBQ tables. The instructor seems very nice, patient and knowledgeable and there was good vibe with the students. There are about a dozen of us with a good mix of ages, gender and experience. It seems like it will be a fun group and an overall enjoyable experience. I will keep you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We took our first class last night. Things were a little crazy and chaotic at the school as far as where to go, how to register, how to pay, etc. We spent most of the first class deciding on a project and discussing logistics such as procuring materials, where to store work in progress, etc. It turns out we will be building garden benches and not folding BBQ tables. The instructor seems very nice, patient and knowledgeable and there was good vibe with the students. There are about a dozen of us with a good mix of ages, gender and experience. It seems like it will be a fun group and an overall enjoyable experience. I will keep you posted!
    This is such a cool endeavor!

Thanks, Ultralight! BTW, I am the only lefty in the class. I guess that presents some special challenges when using the table saw.
    Here is the bench we will be building: https://www.construct101.com/2x4-ben...material-list/

That is so cool! And such a practical project! Everyone could use a backyard bench! I can see also how it requires learning of special skills like cutting angles and stuff.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Cutting angles, is not a special skill. Between the tools today and sites such as : http://www.ana-white.com/
    home carpentry is so much easier then it was in my grandparents/great grandparents day, where it was all hand tools (learn sharpening) and no electricity.
    Honestly the project she posted is more of a circular saw project (which is also safer), then a table saw project.

So here is my garden bench so far - a big pile of potential. We have cut, ripped and routered. Next week we will start drilling and screwing!
    32560303_1911997092146311_1298312632977063936_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Next week we will start drilling and screwing!
    32560303_1911997092146311_1298312632977063936_n.jpg
    Interesting choice of words...

Seriously: Very cool! Thanks for the update. Keep them coming!

OK, it still doesn't look too much like a bench yet, but by next week it will be completed! This week we cut a beveled edge on the top back piece with the table saw, rounded the ends of the arms with the band saw and belt sander, and used a nail gun, drill and drill set up as a screw gun to begin assembly. So all preparation is in place to just drill and screw the pieces together next week.
    The instructor was talking about what people might like to make in the next class, and I would definitely like to enroll. This is some very fun stuff!
    bench.jpg

Thread Information