Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California's Government Run Health Care Proposal

Williamsmith

California's Government Run Health Care Proposal

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...htmlstory.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/2...-payer-system/

I think this is a great idea. California can be a test state before we roll out the national program. Some Californians bemoan the fact that they can't swing elections with their popular vote. Well, now they can make a real impact. Show the rest of the country how it is done and how happy everyone will be.

The Dem legislature will probably stop it, they don't want it. I mean if they had any actual interest in it, it would happen, but they really don't seem to. Maybe with an immense amount of pressure from the citizenry they can be made to change their tune.

Hard to get people as politically apathetic as Californians (ok maybe that's just southern Californians ) to do anything though. Also if it happened, I'm not sure how you would make sure people from other states without much healthcare wouldn't decide to hop on over to California and use the system, that one is difficult.
    Trees don't grow on money

Massachusetts has had single payer for a long time. If they can do so can the rest of the states. I think it was when Romney was governor that it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Massachusetts has had single payer for a long time. If they can do so can the rest of the states. I think it was when Romney was governor that it started.
    That's pretty cool, except that Massachusetts does not, nor has it ever had a single payer system. They have forced insurance purchases just like the Affordable Care Act.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

MA had Romneycare before the ACA came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    MA had Romneycare before the ACA came to be.
    I know, and it's not single payer, never has been.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    California really is looking more and more interesting to me every day.....somewhere far North and not extremely expensive like Redding sounds nice, though I don't know how advisable it is for an everyday person not to be within reasonable distance of the Mexican border just in case.......Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    ...though I don't know how advisable it is for an everyday person not to be within reasonable distance of the Mexican border just in case.......Rob
    Canada is a far nicer place.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I know, and it's not single payer, never has been.
    Like Obamacare, just another way to sell insurance.

Although, I'll be getting single payer, just like most everyone else does, when I turn 65 in a few years (assuming it's still around).

When I was an Air Force brat, I not only had single payer, but largely government provided healthcare.

Let them try. The States are supposed to act as "laboratories of democracy". Of all the States, they're probably best situated to make the attempt: they're large and rich, and don't have a significant percentage of providers outside their regulatory grasp (which was one big problem Vermont had). I would think the impact on their taxpayers would be the biggest issue for them. They're already a high-tax state with some major fiscal and pension headaches. A major increase in the tax burden might drive out businesses and middle class people, to be replaced by benefit-seekers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-work-anywhere

Thread Information