Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Franzen is huge.
    wasnt it Fawn who knew him in real life and was a featured character in one of hos books?

Really!? Any suggestions on where to start? I was going to try to see if the library has The Corrections, which seems to be his most acclaimed and best-selling novel.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Really!? Any suggestions on where to start? I was going to try to see if the library has The Corrections, which seems to be his most acclaimed and best-selling novel.
    I have The Corrections and Freedom in my personal e-book library. If you're interested I'll send you a link for download.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I cant reccomend a Franzen book, but maybe you want to start with the one about Fawn, hahah.See post #25 and her posts after that.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...hlight=Franzen

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I cant reccomend a Franzen book, but maybe you want to start with the one about Fawn, hahah.See post #25 and her posts after that.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...hlight=Franzen
    Wow, that's so cool, and amazing that you remembered that factoid AND were able to find the 7-year old thread!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow, that's so cool, and amazing that you remembered that factoid AND were able to find the 7-year old thread!!
    Just part of the service, ma’am.

I remember it because Franzen was huge and I worked with books back in the day, ya know. Kinda like if Mick
    Jagger wrote a song about one of us here, wouldnt you remember that?

I miss Fawn and wonder how many things she owns now and is that book one of them?

“educated” caught me and I read it in 2 days. Sad but good.

I'm just finishing White Like Her, by Gail Lukasic--a sort of genealogical family mystery (NF).

Now I'm reading To the Bridge, about a Portland filicide a few years back. It's OK, but not particularly compelling so far.What a sad cast of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I read Rules of Civility first, then A Gentleman in Moscow. Enjoyed both of them very much! I hope Amor Towles keeps writing.
    I did it backwards, just finished his first book, Rules of Civility. I enjoyed it, but still like A Gentleman in Moscow better. Agree that as long as Towles keeps writing, I'll keep reading.

Yppej
    Today I got some recommended here, some not:

The Cafe Cook Book
    Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst
    Lahiri's The Lowlands
    Bluebird, Bluebird : A Novel
    Genova Every Note Played
    Love in a Time of Hate: The Story of Magda and Andre Trocme and the Village That Said No to the Nazis - this was not on my list but caught my eye because of an article in this month's Smithsonian about the tradition of French villagers helping refugees, which continues today
    Last edited by Yppej; 8-17-18 at 8:31pm.

Thread Information