Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to cook...

I used to be a terrible cook. Now I can make anything.

My advice is to try making something you really love... say soups. Become a master at just making that and after.... move on to something else you'd really enjoy. Your perception of cooking will change and you will become more adept. At least, this worked for me.

The Bittman cookbook has not come in yet. But I am checking the mail each day for it.

Something that has always nagged me about not being able to cook is how it is such a huge gap in my ability to be self-reliant. While I can make enough foods to live -- like fry eggs, steam veggies, make soup in a crock pot, etc. these are not things I feel excited about preparing or about eating.

I think that if I truly dedicate myself to learning to cook -- learning to use the tools and utensils, learning about spices and ingredients, learning about baking, roasting, boiling, steaming, and so forth -- then I will actually be more self-confident.

I hope the Bitman book will help you.

as someone who hates to cook and to plan, I love his "food matters" cookbook. It has actual menus along with healthy recipes. Dh also loves it as his response to me deciding to work my way through it one month was "you are finally learning to cook! I can eat vegetables if you make them like this!"

I think one of the main things about cooking that I don't like is that I have to do it alone. It is a reminder of how my romantic life is in shambles. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I think one of the main things about cooking that I don't like is that I have to do it alone. It is a reminder of how my romantic life is in shambles. haha
    I get that, I have things I would love to do but are too much alone. I rented a house and always had a garden but the kids were in Dr appt teenage years so it wasn't much fun alone. I learned to really cook when my kids were growing up so that helped.

Don't really have a solution but I hear you

Maybe you could take a cooking class and meet someone? Or at least make a friend to cook with.

they say to listen to music or so on when one cooks to make it more enjoyable, maybe that would work to make it less lonely. But the cooking class is a better idea. I have taken them at community college extension (not the main way I learned to cook though).

I tire of cooking for others far more than I do just cooking for myself though, feels like another burden in life sometimes, make things nice for others and so on. But oh well.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I used to be a terrible cook. Now I can make anything.

My advice is to try making something you really love... say soups. Become a master at just making that and after.... move on to something else you'd really enjoy. Your perception of cooking will change and you will become more adept. At least, this worked for me.
    I like this very focused idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Maybe you could take a cooking class and meet someone? Or at least make a friend to cook with.
    I will consider it, though with each passing day I am closer to simply giving up on romance.

This is totally unexpected, but today I found myself thinking: "Maybe there is more to life than sex. Traveling internationally was fun. Maybe I should just focus on other things."

Yppej
    I forget who - maybe the Nearings - said there are three basic ways to prepare food. 1. Roast as Tenngal described 2. Saute 3. Eat raw like in a salad. All I use are a cutting board, knife, spatula, pots and pans, and either a glass casserole dish or cookie sheet for roasting. A regular tablespoon can toss a salad. To me it is the combination of varied ingredients and not the preparation method that keeps it interesting. For social spice you could try taking a culinary class at your local voc tech in the evening.

Thread Information