Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously, 45 has the intelligence of maybe a 12 year old-and not a very bright one

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I definitely see cultural anxiety as a real possibility in why Trump got elected. I'd like to see that video. I think the bonds between Trump and his electorate are very emotional and personal, which is why they are forgiving him for his personal shortcomings--the womanizing, crudity, lying.. all kinds of things are forgivable when you have a Savior promising you redemption from a world you are increasingly afraid of.
    Even laundering money for the Russian, apparently. I can't fathom what they're afraid of, probably because--as a woman--I'm one of the "other."

But most of the people voting for Trump weren't even poor working class people, but actually fairly well off.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...class-support/
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'd like to start a thread sometime about some of the things I think about.......like the possibility that many of our problems come from thinking that we should all be the same and get along. That sort of goes hand-in-hand with there seem to be very different brains in people........some are open to differences and welcoming and some are more animalistic and defensive. (And I don't use that term in a negative way)......very much like the 2 branches of chimpanzees.........the regular ones and the bonobos.
    But that needs to be a different thread. The things I think about are not a judgement on something, but rather just an interest in the etiology of some behaviors/conditions.
    I think people just need to get out more. Seriously. Travel the world. Meet the "other". I personally consider my life to be richer for having done so, and for living in a city where white people are only a plurality of the population. My mega-corp employer has about 100 employees here. Roughly 20 of them are transfers from other offices around the world. (and likewise I can think of at least 10 people who have transfered from the US to other offices outside the country.) One of the great things about working for this employer is having coworkers from all over that I can talk to on a regular basis. If people spent more time meeting and getting to know "the other" they would not seem nearly so frightening.

It seems to me that liberals attribute way too much to externalities such as race and gender. If you didn't vote for our first black President you were a racist, if you didn't vote for Hillary you were a sexist. What a narrow view...
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Ih ave traveled overseas and grew up in a town that was racially mixed. I agree that it broadens your view point and makes yo more accepting of people from other cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I think people just need to get out more. Seriously. Travel the world. Meet the "other". I personally consider my life to be richer for having done so, and for living in a city where white people are only a plurality of the population. My mega-corp employer has about 100 employees here. Roughly 20 of them are transfers from other offices around the world. (and likewise I can think of at least 10 people who have transfered from the US to other offices outside the country.) One of the great things about working for this employer is having coworkers from all over that I can talk to on a regular basis. If people spent more time meeting and getting to know "the other" they would not seem nearly so frightening.
    That's always been my experience. In my last job, I worked with people from China, Mexico, Canada, and Pakistan. I think most tech offices around here are pretty diverse that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It seems to me that liberals attribute way too much to externalities such as race and gender. If you didn't vote for our first black President you were a racist, if you didn't vote for Hillary you were a sexist. What a narrow view...
    It's also a narrow view taking particular actions and applying them to entire group of people irregardless of whether they performed those actions or not. Some liberals did do what you said. I would say most don't. I could say conservatives attribute way too much to externalities such as race and gender, but that's only true for some conservatives so that statement wouldn't hold up, either.

Who are we even talking about here? The Trump primary voter with a median household income of 72k, ok maybe they can travel (that's a decent income some places, as long as it's not somewhere coastal probably). But maybe they do, well off voters voting for Trump were not necessarily voting cultural issues.

The stereotyped poor white Trump voter laid off from a coal mining job or unable to find anything but dead end jobs well into middle age? (72k is the median household income of a Trump primary voter but of course many may fall well below, and I'm not sure the general election breakdown). How does anyone expect them to travel? Do people not get being poor in America? It's not that way.

And people probably don't get this either: but there is no guarantee that low paid jobs even have ANY vacation time (even paid sick time sometimes :\). So use their non-existent vacation time to travel, and their non-existent wealth to buy plane tickets apparently? In one breath Trump voters are poor disgruntled working class whites whom the economy has left behind, and in another have enough money and leisure to be traveling the world. Which one is it? I live somewhere with income diversity so the idea that people are poor in America isn't totally alien to me. Of course I also know what an upper middle class lifestyle accouterments yearly foreign travel is, just as much as the fairly new shiny car in the parking lot that gets a weekly car wash to stay so shiny, but it's not where my sympathies lie.

---

Workplace as diverse, in many ways my current workplace is as diverse as any I've ever worked for, and they make an effort to be so. But they DON'T hire H1Bs, probably would be less diverse in many ways if they did (because many Americans who weren't senior level wouldn't get a chance and that's a lot of people not getting a chance there. Tech "diversity" is usually white, asian, and indian males - not exactly all that representative of the broader population at all).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    It's also a narrow view taking particular actions and applying them to entire group of people irregardless of whether they performed those actions or not.
    That's true, guilty as charged. I guess my broader point is that academia and media, which both skew liberal, consistently represent complex subjects in a way they feel most comfortable. Their output is then ingested by others who not only feel most comfortable with the result, but also feel justified by the implied authority of their source regardless of it's inability to stand up to reason. Complex social and political issues involve much more than race, gender or sexual preference, but who would know based upon individual commentary?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information