Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flour

Flour

Interesting article that both explains why there has been a shortage of flour, and also, provides a look inside how one company dealt with the pandemic as best they could.

https://medium.com/p/623034583579/responses/show

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I've been baking my own bread for years so when the flour started disappearing off the shelves, I knew something was up.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

King Arthur puts out a good, consistent product, from what I can tell--and never any bromates.

Plenty of flour in the 2 stores I was in this week. I think people are sick and tired of baking. Bisquick and all other "instant" products? BARE SHELVES at the local grocer-about 6 linear feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Plenty of flour in the 2 stores I was in this week. I think people are sick and tired of baking. Bisquick and all other "instant" products? BARE SHELVES at the local grocer-about 6 linear feet.
    Homemade bisquick ... 1 c flour, 1/2 t baking powder, 3/4 t salt, 1 T olive oil, melted butter, coconut oil or shortening..... = 1 c Bisquick

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Homemade bisquick ... 1 c flour, 1/2 t baking powder, 3/4 t salt, 1 T olive oil, melted butter, coconut oil or shortening..... = 1 c Bisquick
    Never use it. It just made me laugh that it is currently absent from the shelves.

I used to make baking mix according to a recipe in the More with Less cookbook--it is a wonderful cookbook, really interesting, by a Mennonite woman who died very young of breast cancer.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/more-w...&idiq=10297290

I used the mix when I had three young children and baked a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I used to make baking mix according to a recipe in the More with Less cookbook--it is a wonderful cookbook, really interesting, by a Mennonite woman who died very young of breast cancer.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/more-w...&idiq=10297290

I used the mix when I had three young children and baked a lot.
    Same here! Both on more baking when kids were young and the More With Less Cookbook. Their recipes actually got me to start eating lentils! lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Same here! Both on more baking when kids were young and the More With Less Cookbook. Their recipes actually got me to start eating lentils! lol.
    I have that cookbook. Thanks, I will check out the lentil recipes.

Another great flour is Hudson Cream from Stafford County, Kansas. https://www.hudsoncream.com/ If you happen to see it in your store, pick some up.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information