Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March Frugals!

I attend a weekly weight management support group through my insurance company and have learned a lot. My teacher strongly endorsed the brand of Dave's Killer Bread as being highly nutritious--indeed, it is excellent. I'd been buying it for months, but it was a bit on the pricey side, even though I would normally only have one slice a day.

I decided to look for a reverse-engineered recipe for the type I like, found it, then bought a second-hand Zojirushi bread machine. After one failed attempt and a few tweaks to the recipe, I came up with a great facsimile at about a quarter of the cost!

As a side note, I wanted to share the happy news that through attending that class for about six months now--and making about a million small and relatively pain-free changes--I've managed to get my A1C level OUT of the pre-diabetic range! I'm still overweight and don't exercise enough, but I have lost SOME weight and am exercising far more than I did before (which was never/none/zilch/zip/nada).

I would not have known about this free class if I hadn't thoroughly researched my insurance company's website and taken a lot of action to get myself educated and enrolled. If you have health insurance, it might be worth doing some detective work to see what's available. My class is a lot like a Weight Watchers meeting--without publicly disclosing weight numbers--apparently. That's good, because I had already researched WW and wanted to join...but it was too expensive for our budget.

Great news Selah! I love that bread but never buy it because of the price. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Weight Watchers doesn't disclose anyone's weight. Just saying.

Bread. What about ice cream? Has anyone tried Halo Top? It is amazingly good. An entire pint is only 240 calories. Some varieties are more.

I am not a big ice cream fan so I dont eat alot of it, and I suppose to a real ice cream fan it wouldnt be that great, but it is fine for me.

Yppej
    I have been getting some online deals to help with my job search from Vistaprint for business cards to bulk printer paper. My son (a media and communications major) loves researching deals online and has been a great help to me.

I've been re-reading some of the personal finance books I've collected on my kindle, and doing something of an inventory of ideas that I have implemented, those I should and those that aren't pertinent to my life. Then trying to instill some new habits.

For example, due to some recent development, my bank's closest ATM is now twice the distance. I spent nearly a year with sciatica issues so that distance was hell to walk, so I got into the habit of using another bank's ATM because it was more convenient. Fees were $5+/pop. I'm better but still recovering. Nonetheless, pushing myself to make the effort to avoid the added fees. Reading was the reminder.

Another is to have water when eating out. I'm eating out less, and there are times I *really* want that iced tea, but I'm pushing water more. The habit here is what do I *want*. And that I don't need to order out of habit.

Last year I'd gotten into a pattern of drinking too much soda from the vending machine at work. Again, I'm pushing water and tea bags from home.

Today I read a chapter on hobbies. Except for seeing the occasional movie in the theater, I really don't spend much on them. I've been taking my own snacks for months. Being physically limited, frankly, I haven't engaged much in my other hobbies - knitting, crocheting and learning to sew. Feeling better, I want to resume them. I have had a lot of yarn given to me so it remains cost-free.

Minor adjustments by an old frugalista who's still open to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I attend a weekly weight management support group through my insurance company and have learned a lot. My teacher strongly endorsed the brand of Dave's Killer Bread as being highly nutritious--indeed, it is excellent. I'd been buying it for months, but it was a bit on the pricey side, even though I would normally only have one slice a day.

I decided to look for a reverse-engineered recipe for the type I like, found it, then bought a second-hand Zojirushi bread machine. After one failed attempt and a few tweaks to the recipe, I came up with a great facsimile at about a quarter of the cost!.
    Would you please share this recipe? I love Daves!

I broke my 2017 clothes buying fast and got a pair of black work pants at Talbot's yesterday. I'm including it here because I had coupons that brought the price from $99 to $29, so it was a really good buy. There were a couple of other things I was interested in, but they have such frequent deals that I'm going to hold off for a 25% promo or something similar. I'll be sticking with neutral staples and steering away from the more frivolous stuff at least.

Way to go, Rosa!

Meezer Mom: Do you use a debit card to make purchases? Lots of places offer to give you cash back from your debit card purchase which is just another way of making a withdrawal from your account rather than having to use an ATM. Most don't charge a fee for this service. Might save you a few buck in fees.

Good point, MaryHu. Another possibility is switching banks. My bank reimburses us for ATM fees we incur from other banks, which is pretty cool.

Thread Information