Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keto

I went on one of the early doctor monitored weight loss programs that used significant increased protein. Had regular blood tests. It almost destroyed my digestive system.

Lost the weight and it was not worth it. I am now a much more balance in everything and as simple an eating plan as possible.

I have no interest in giving up potatos. All foods in moderation works best for me.

Same for me plus definitely not giving up pasta!

Yppej
    Thank you for clarifying Steve on the meat.

My tastebuds have changed and when I do have refined carbs they taste blah.

If you're looking for inspiration, I recommend Maria Emmerich, Urvashi Pitre, and Carrie Brown recipes and cookbooks. Also, Dr.Stephen Phinney has a series of excellent YouTube videos. There's no shortage of solid information out there.

Having dealt with chronic pain for many years I am absolutely shocked at my current pain level which is hardly worth mentioning. I can't believe that it has almost resolved in such a short time. Why on earth don't doctors discuss this before putting you on all the pharma crap? I know a lot of them know nothing of nutrition and follow the party line but good grief. My BP has been hovering in the high 140's, low 150's. In the past week it has been in the 120's. My husband has been keeping an eye on his as well since he is on meds. His has also dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Why on earth don't doctors discuss this before putting you on all the pharma crap? I know a lot of them know nothing of nutrition and follow the party line but good grief.
    I hate to be cynical, but there's no money in people resolving medical conditions by eating in a way that corresponds to their body's needs. Not only would more people eating keto disrupt the diabetes/endocrine disorder market, but it would do a number on some very large food companies, too.

The American public does not help itself, either, by believing that everything can be fixed by taking a pill.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I went on the Keto diet over a year ago. I had been suffering from severe chronic pain and my pain levels have dropped so dramatically, I only need the occasional Advil or Tylenol. I also lost 10 pounds.

I eat a lot of veggies, a moderate amount of meat (2-3 oz per meal) and limited fruit. My only other carb is a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. I include nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, fish oil and some 80% dark chocolate in my diet. I use almond or coconut milk. After being dairy free for awhile, I use a limited amount of cheese as flavoring in some foods. Water is my "go to" beverage although I do have one cup a coffee in the morning.

Thread Information