Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No one cares about this

No one cares about this

9 were killed this weekend in Chicago, including a 3 year old and 3 teenagers. 60 wounded. However, no one is going to give a rats ass about it, except the families and some local organizations, because black on black, brown on black, or brown on brown violence doesn’t matter. It only matters when cops and/or white folks. Blacks kill more blacks than cops and/or white folk. But it doesn’t fit the narrative.

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/...nd-in-chicago/

The ghetto/gang neighborhoods are heartbreaking. Used to watch the Chicago news every night when living in Kenosha.

It was explained to me that it is *part* of the narrative.

Structural racism has caused the circumstances in which this happens, black-on-black violence is due to this.

It was also explained to me that when you are held up at gunpoint by an African-American, it's because of structural racism, and if we only had childcare, economic opportunities, education, healthcare, and all that, why, then, no gunpoint robberies. Presumably those robbers would be working at tech startups coding new food delivery apps or something.

There is no grand narrative for most people most of the time I suspect, there are things people do and don't care about for reasons that are never entirely clear, and are largely emotional I think. I'm not different, in that I don't always care equally about everything. Novelty seems to be one trigger that gets people to care about things, if it's new it triggers a response, long long standing problems, like say poverty, can't get the same emotional response it seems, even if they really should be addressed.

Economic opportunities, healthcare etc. would probably reduce the instances of crime etc., but if one insists on absolutist thinking, then of course it seldom applies to reality.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I remember students from Parkland High School going to Chicago and demonstrating with local Chicago groups against gun violence, so some people do care.

I saw this. I care. I continue to prayer and do what I can. I think there are a lot of people silently doing what they can; making a difference person-to-person, day-to-day. They may not be noticed by the masses or the mass media, but they are there - doing good.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Two sides of the same coin probably, but we have it in our power to reform the police.

From 6/19 through 6/22 the revised numbers are 104 people shot in Chicago, 14 fatally.

Same weekend in the Uptown area of Minneapolis, 12 people were shot, 1 fatally.

As of May 6, gun violence had increased in Chicago, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Nashville, Tucson, New Orleans, Albany/Troy NY, Washington DC, and Dallas.

Gun sales remain strong. http://www.ksnt.com/news/local-news/...cent-protests/

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    From 6/19 through 6/22 the revised numbers are 104 people shot in Chicago, 14 fatally.

Same weekend in the Uptown area of Minneapolis, 12 people were shot, 1 fatally.

As of May 6, gun violence had increased in Chicago, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Nashville, Tucson, New Orleans, Albany/Troy NY, Washington DC, and Dallas.

Gun sales remain strong.
    Lack of police presence, social workers coming to my house for crimes I call in—yeah—makes me interested in upping my armory here in murder city. Ya’ll in rural no-crime land or simply safe suburbia will,of course, not mind fewer police since you don’t see them anyway.

Last week when I left our Hermann house, I didn’t lock the front door. Some days later we went to Hermann, and to no one’s surprise, all was well. I don’t lock my car doors there, let alone put on The Club. Don’t need no steekin’ cops around there. But not surprisingly the Hermann populace is pretty well armed. Hunting is a big deal. These are two facts not connected, but worth mentioning about Hermann.

IL, a social worker won’t come to your house for a crime. But if someone is suicidal they will send a crisis team to defuse the situation. I shouldn’t have to state the obvious. Here a woman called police because her mom was suicidal. The cops pulled up and the woman goes outside to talk to them. They immediately shoot her in the leg and go into the house and kill her elderly mother. This is why we don’t need cops handling things that aren’t crimes.

Thread Information