Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do fridge or car magnets count?

Was the fridge furnished with the apartment? Were the magnets on it? Do you have/use just enough to perform useful services such as grocery list holder?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My frig is naked and I like it that way.
    Did you ever notice that in before and after kitchen pictures, the fridge is covered with crap in the before pics but naked in the after shots? It actually seems to make as much visual difference as the new counter tops, cabinets, flooring, etc. and for a lot less money!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My frig is naked and I like it that way.
    Nudist!

Absolutely they count. Paper is more 2 dimensional than magnets. (Are there really different degrees of two dimensionality?) yet, a book or a notepad is just a collection of pieces of paper and I don't think anyone would deny it as a possession.

Yes, indeed! Magnets do count for me especially on a fridge.

Hm. What's the point in counting anyway? Does it matter if you have 537 or 534 possessions if you count/do not count your fridge magnets?

If they are useful for you, keep them. If not, give them to someone who is bothered by his "naked" fridge ;-)

What's the point in counting anyway?
    There's a smug sense of superiority over having fewer possessions among some minimalists.

I think it is really a: "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?" discussion, for you intellectual amusement or something. Angels take up no space and are not to be counted as our possessions. Not even our guardian angel? No.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    There's a smug sense of superiority over having fewer possessions among some minimalists.
    There is a spiteful sense of condemnation from some maximalists who are irked because some minimalists count their things and/or have decluttered to a very respectable level.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    Hm. What's the point in counting anyway? Does it matter if you have 537 or 534 possessions if you count/do not count your fridge magnets?
    To anyone with 534 or 537 possessions it certainly doesn't matter. After all, that person is a maximalist. But to someone who would have either 150 or 153 possessions depending on the answer to the question then yes, it would matter a great deal.

The more important question than whether fridge magnets count is whether socks should be counted individually or in pairs. I personally lean towards individually since everyone's washing machine eats them and it would be silly when one went missing to say "This remaining sock is half of a possession. These two mismatched single socks combined only represent one full possession."

Thread Information