Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hay from Iowa City!

Hay from Iowa City!

Hello everyone. I'm Mike.

I bought a bug out property a year ago just outside of Millersburg Iowa where my GF lives, and Ive been thinking about how to turn it into my retirement property.

I'd like to keep it low tax, low maintenance and simple and hope the group here may have some suggestions to fix the mobile home up, and also break ground for a big man garage. Building science is one of my interests but I'm having a hard time deciding on how to make the mobile home energy efficient.

Thanks!

Welcome mike! I have no clue how to answer your questions but we love new members)

Can you frame the mobile home and insulate that? Years ago, a neighbours did that and lived in it with 6 kids.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Can you frame the mobile home and insulate that? Years ago, a neighbours did that and lived in it with 6 kids.
    Concur. I've seen a bit of this in winter country in the northwest. They build around the windows so light still comes in. They've also left the ends completely open.

Man garage: I've seen 400 feet to 4000 feet. Most will put in a half bath. We had friends do this in Northern Idaho. This was built first and fully insulated. They lived there for a year (summer in tents outside). While he built their home himself. He is a finish carpenter by hobby. They and their 2 young girls thoroughly enjoyed the year long journey and have stories to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I have seen this in the northwoods of WI also. Often a more permanent structure is built on the site later.

Back in the day in Wyoming high country, a guy we knew sprayed foam insulation about a foot thick all over the outside of his house trailer, except for the windows. It looked like they lived in a marshmallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Back in the day in Wyoming high country, a guy we knew sprayed foam insulation about a foot thick all over the outside of his house trailer, except for the windows. It looked like they lived in a marshmallow.

Now that rich! The assessor would decrease the value and that's what I'm after! I'm ugly anyway.

I was thinking of extending the window rough opening framing 2" and then adding 2" of foam board.. But the roof is where you lose and gain the most heat so I will start with that.

I wasn't going to start asking questions about the mobile home on this thread. It might be better to start a new topic in housing so other mobile home owners can laugh at what Im planning..

I lived in Iowa city when I went to graduate school. I love Iowa City.

Quote Originally Posted by spazatac View Post
    I was thinking of extending the window rough opening framing 2" and then adding 2" of foam board.. But the roof is where you lose and gain the most heat so I will start with that.
    Welcome, Mike!

Foam board (polystyrene?) doesn't have much of an ability to insulate. And in some locales (like mine, in the state right above yours) it doesn't meet building code, either. So you might want to look for a better insulator, like isocyanate (or maybe you're already using that). And check building code. But I'll carry this over to your Housing post. Looking forward to more posts from you!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Almost need to see how disasssembled the trailer is first, before making suggestions. My thoughts would be to use the trailer as is and use the other money, building a larger garage, where you make a home in that. (either have the house in the garage, which I have seen, or have hook ups for the RV in the garage, to keep wind and such from the trailer)

Thread Information