Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you get interested in your hobby?

I find it interesting how some people get intensely involved in new hobbies every few years. For several years, my older brother was into wine collecting and filled up a cellar. Then he got interested in genealogy and spent two years producing family books for each side where he had to travel to old cemeteries and libraries. Now in his 70s, his new passion is wood-working and he is turning out beautiful furniture.

Can I share, this turned out so cute. $40 sale also. P_20180512_205732_LL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Can I share, this turned out so cute. $40 sale also. P_20180512_205732_LL.jpg
    that is so cute! Love it!

One aspect I've been thinking about is how a hobby can be a shared interest for a couple. I'm remembering a poet, Donald Hall, who talked about how couples need that "third thing" to focus on (I'm paraphrasing). Basically, you have each other, and you have work, but it helps to have that other interest/passion.
    I know for some couples it's their pet, others it's a shared love of the outdoors, others love cooking, some are active in their church, etc. For some it's raising their children but when the children leave the nest it leaves a big void which can become a big strain on their relationship.
    So I've been pondering that myself and will be exploring that more. Right now it seems one of our regularly shared interests is going to matinees in mid-week with the other retirees :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    One aspect I've been thinking about is how a hobby can be a shared interest for a couple. [...] So I've been pondering that myself and will be exploring that more. Right now it seems one of our regularly shared interests is going to matinees in mid-week with the other retirees :-)
    I see nothing wrong with entertainment being the shared interest. DW and I have been square dancing the last couple of years. At first it seemed like just a fun way to get some (non-strenuous) exercise without worrying much about the weather in which it was done and it provided set times (lessons and dances) for us to get together (if it weren't for deadlines, lots of things would not get done). It turns out that we really enjoy it so it's what we do together right now.

When DW retires in a few years, we may add some more volunteering to that mix. Or more grandchildren. Or both. I'm sure the activities will evolve as time goes by. In the meantime we really enjoy it and it does not matter that we're not working on a cure for cancer or anything like that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I find it interesting how some people get intensely involved in new hobbies every few years. For several years, my older brother was into wine collecting and filled up a cellar. Then he got interested in genealogy and spent two years producing family books for each side where he had to travel to old cemeteries and libraries. Now in his 70s, his new passion is wood-working and he is turning out beautiful furniture.
    I am like this too. I study until I can't find much more of interest and then move on to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I am like this too. I study until I can't find much more of interest and then move on to something else.
    I do this too, but I often cycle back through my list of interests, reading being a constant.

Today I won a trophy as big as my head for Best Iris in the Greater St. Louis Iris show. But really, there isnt much competition any more. I am taking the traveling trophy, a big thing with its own travel box, for a year because it is sort of retro and funny in that way.

I also won design sweepstakes, which means “most blue ribbons” and won the Artistic award. Did not win Best Design in show however, but that’s ok! Gotta give someone else a chance.

E2091F48-A8D1-443E-A094-D90F1E00597B.jpg

Yay, Iris!

IL, well done. You have won in so many ways - the prize for the entries but more important, IMO, you entered to give some life to the competition , demonstrated artistic effort in your own unique way inspiring others and simply giving enjoyment to those who attended the viewing. i always appreciate the participants showing the multiple dimensions of any competition.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information