Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting is so good for the soul.....

Wow, that source shows the 85006 to be higher in crimes against persons than my zip code here in the murder capital of the U.S.

Yay, Rob! I bow to your superior toughness.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Wow, that source shows the 85006 to be higher in crimes against persons than my zip code here in the murder capital of the U.S.

Yay, Rob! I bow to your superior toughness.
    IL, I've always been a strong person in many ways. You can see that here in some of my posts as I am quite capable of holding my own against opposition and don't at all mind holding unpopular beliefs providing that I truly believe in said beliefs.

But to the main point of your post here - I'm not buying that crime is this bad in the 85006.....I have had nothing stolen or had any criminal incidents against me take place since living in the 85006 years ago. I do know of some folks who have had their cars stolen - Phoenix was an auto theft capital back in the mid to late 90's but I undertand that's cooled off a bit now. Drugs would be the big deal here - selling and possession and of course crimes committed for money to buy drugs - but like I said, I have not been a crime victim since living here and my block has been crime free (other than one neighbor having some patio furniture stolen two years ago). A lot of this has to do with not being out and about late at night - thereby protecting yourself from both thugs AND the police (in the 85006 we often debate which group is worse - police or those they arrest?) Having nothing to do with drugs in any way shape or form helps, too, as does being on good terms with all your neighbors and getting involved in the neighborhood. It's really not all that bad in the 85006. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    It just seems strange that you have a problem with America, but are happy to live in a poor, high crime area.

Have fun at your protest, I have not seen any reports of protest in the news. Stay safe.
    It's not strange if you stop and think.....I know too much about how America really works to ever fit into a "nicer" area - and in a said "nicer" area there would be no peace for me as I would ALWAYS feel the need to watch my back 24/7/365, once again because I know too much about America and how it really works. At least I don't have to watch my back 24/7/365 in the 86006 and here I often witness human decency and kindness in action - it would be too soul depleting to give that up to live in a Watch Your Back 24/7/365 zip code. No can do. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I have real trouble believing that the impoverished masses of any zip code are seething with outrage over this incident. I doubt many have no greater concern than the treatment of a doctor by an airline. The whole thing seems more like a "rich peoples' problem" to me. If "the lower social classes" see this as "the perfect example of why America doesn't work for them", then we are in better shape than I thought we were.
    Some of the anger is due to the fact that it is so almost impossible these days to accomplish anything in America, so why even bother trying? I'm not sure I agree with the why bother trying part, but yes, it is almost impossible to accomplish anything in America. I can vouch for this personally and I see it every day in the 85006. However, here we have someone - a doctor - who has managed to make something of himself in the eyes of this highly questionable society - good for him. Look at how America treats him regardless!!! Were it not for smartphone video this incident would have been completely swept under the rug - such is how America works. The anger felt in the 85006 has a lot to do with how pointless and meaningless living in America truly is these days, and yes, there is a great deal of anger in the 85006 over this unfortunate United Airlines incident. The overall 85006 take is that this incident is yet more proof that America doesn't work for most of it's citizens/permanent residents unless they are in the 1 percent. Though there is also gratitude in the 85006 for smartphones being affordable now and trickling down to this zip codes so as to protect yourself against America and such incidents.

This is not a rich people's problem. This is a problem of an entire country really not working well for the majority of it's citizens/permanent residents, and of more and more of the country waking up to this fact. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Off to protest United Airlines again....I understand there is donated horchata once again and also carne asada being provided tonight for the protesters. Tonight was a bit of a moral slash ethical decision for me as I had to turn down a shift offered to me to participate.....I did the survival math, factored in my Mother and how she raised me to be, factored in my husband and in-laws, factored in how dicey health care has been in this country for me before Obamacare, and made the only logical choice and decided to protest.
    What's the logical connection between a doctor's spat with an airline and the state of American health care?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What's the logical connection between a doctor's spat with an airline and the state of American health care?
    The link for me personally is this: Due to my fear of the United States (for not being worth affordable access to health care in the US before ObamaCare) i of course will factor these years of terror into any financial decision such as do I give up a shift to protest the United Airlines brand. Along with the other variables I mentioned that factored into my decision to protest again last night. Years of lack of access to health care will ALWAYS factor into any economic decision I make - I will NEVER be able to "unsee" these years. Would you realistically expect me to do otherwise, given that I am essentially a decent human being? Rob

Some of the anger is due to the fact that it is so almost impossible these days to accomplish anything in America, so why even bother trying? I'm not sure I agree with the why bother trying part, but yes, it is almost impossible to accomplish anything in America. I can vouch for this personally and I see it every day in the 85006. However, here we have someone - a doctor - who has managed to make something of himself in the eyes of this highly questionable society - good for him. Look at how America treats him regardless!!! Were it not for smartphone video this incident would have been completely swept under the rug - such is how America works. The anger felt in the 85006 has a lot to do with how pointless and meaningless living in America truly is these days, and yes, there is a great deal of anger in the 85006 over this unfortunate United Airlines incident. The overall 85006 take is that this incident is yet more proof that America doesn't work for most of it's citizens/permanent residents unless they are in the 1 percent. Though there is also gratitude in the 85006 for smartphones being affordable now and trickling down to this zip codes so as to protect yourself against America and such incidents.

This is not a rich people's problem. This is a problem of an entire country really not working well for the majority of it's citizens/permanent residents, and of more and more of the country waking up to this fact. Rob
    Almost impossible to accomplish anything in America? You may be able to vouch for that personally, but there are millions of others who give the lie to that assertion every day. Many of them came here illegally to accomplish something.

"America" did not do anything to that doctor. America is not a person. You're freighting a single incident of bi-lateral stupidity with some kind of transcendent importance that simply doesn't exist in reality.

You may regard your own life in America as "pointless and meaningless", but I think you're making a generalization that doesn't apply to others. And blaming "America" for a pointless life is ridiculous. Meaning is not something that can be delivered by a government entitlement program.

The link for me personally is this: Due to my fear of the United States (for not being worth affordable access to health care in the US before ObamaCare) i of course will factor these years of terror into any financial decision such as do I give up a shift to protest the United Airlines brand. Along with the other variables I mentioned that factored into my decision to protest again last night. Years of lack of access to health care will ALWAYS factor into any economic decision I make - I will NEVER be able to "unsee" these years. Would you realistically expect me to do otherwise, given that I am essentially a decent human being? Rob
    So you hate and fear America for failing to provide you with inexpensive health care. United Airlines is part of America. Therefore United Airlines is the enemy?

So, even though the other citizens of the United States pay the majority of your health care needs through subsidies (which many of them do not qualify for), you still hate the United States? All this time later, I still fail to see the logic in that.

Your continuing resentment at not being served by your fellow Americans early enough and on a greater scale leads me to question your definition of "decent human being". Different outlooks I guess, but maybe that's just me.

The description of the festive atmosphere at your several protests, mainly through your emphasis on food and drink, makes me think the protests are more of a social outing in the 85006. A day off work is always cause for celebration, glad you're having fun.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, even though the other citizens of the United States pay the majority of your health care needs through subsidies (which many of them do not qualify for), you still hate the United States? All this time later, I still fail to see the logic in that.

Your continuing resentment at not being served by your fellow Americans early enough and on a greater scale leads me to question your definition of "decent human being". But maybe that's just me.

The description of the festive atmosphere at your several protests, mainly through your emphasis on food and drink, makes me think the protests are more of a social outing in the 85006. Glad you're having fun.
    Alan, a quick question for you: What is it about my insistence that if you wish to have my loyalty, I expect access to affordable health care for both myself and the masses in general? Every other developed country on this planet provides such access - why is my expectation for such as a price tag to anything remotely resembling loyalty such an issue/problem/inexcusable evil for conservatives such as yourself? This is something I will never understand from a basic, common sense perspective. Ball in your court, etc. Rob

PS Just came back to add that the protests are of course serious events, though there is some networking, meeting new people, socializing and getting to know others going on, and this does tend to center around food and drink, yes. This is just a portion of the protest and not the main reason for attending/participating, however. It's just one aspect of the experience and not the reason for the experience overall.

Thread Information